03' X5 4.4i and Steptronic

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I have been visiting quite regularly none the less. I have recently been driving in the manual steptronic mode for a little over a week due to issues I was reading about with other series BMWs and the problems they were having. I definitely wanted to address any such issues within the warranty period. At the same time I have found that I don't necessarily wish to go back to regular automatic transmission mode. I already thought quite highly of the normal and sport modes; however with this new experience I have found yet another reason to love my car!! It took some getting used to as there is a delay of approximately a full second between shifts, but the sheer control over each and every gear makes it that much more worth it. I suppose everyone has there own style of handling a manual transmission, and I'm a person who likes to up shift the full range of gears and then when approaching a stop I will down shift the full range of gears as well. I do this with other manual only cars and this is emanated quite well with the clutch less manual also. Of coarse this is not driving moderately, this is driving sporty and can take a toll on the mileage per gallon. I had noticed when in fully automatic mode in speeds between 60 and 80 the car will have gone through the full range of gears and be cruising in 5th gear when it would more appropriately would be in 3rd or 4th (when driving in manual). This sort of control is what I'm speaking of and have grown very fond of. BMW owners, I ask that you please continue to post things great and not so great about your cars as this is truly a great forum and has been an invaluable service to me and many others!! [thumb] Oh, and hey Bobalouie... WAKE UP, you haven't been posting either [:D]

i'M STILL HERE

Hey Kierre!

I'm still here! Glad to see you are too. [:)]
I've been really busy [:(] but am still loving my X5. [driving] I use the steptronic regularly and love it.

Also, we had a major snowfall yesterday and I had my first opportunity to try out the X5 in snow.....fantastic. Way way way better than any SUV I've ever had....and I've had alot of them (1 previously). [rolleyes] [rofl] Actually I've had 4. I was wondering how it would perform in heavy snow and it is tops. I love it.

But it is SO dirty. I have to take it through car washes regularly. Oh well.

BMW instituted a 1.9% lease program for 2004 320i s that are leased before December 31. Needless to say, there are no 320i s left for sale anyway in Canada...at least not in half decent colours.

Hope all is well,

Sincerely

There you are!

Bob,

We have had some insignificant snowfall recently and before it was time to go to work the roads had already been cleared. I'm with you on the dirt accumulation. I don't think I have ever seen my car so dirty, and at the same time it’s very difficult to keep it clean in weather such as this. The 3 series are really nice and it’s what I intend to purchase for my wife once we are back stateside, and of course after she obtains a license. Has the new 5er grown on you yet? Next year’s model they will introduce the 545i, add the upgraded navi system and add the option of the new active roll stabilization. I've got to drive this thing! I'm looking really closely at the new 6er. I really like it and I want it to be the next "for me" car. By the way I added the front bar I was telling you about. It's an absolutely useless option that looks cool. I wanted it painted the same color of the car, but due to a miss-communication, it was painted black instead. I haven’t gone back to have it re-done cause I kind of like the contrast. I'll post some pics later and please tell me what you think. Take it easy.

Dave

Dave,

I am looking forward to seeing the pics of your X5, with the new addition. I love the new 5er, the new 6er (stunning, from pictures only) and even the now not-so-new 7. The 5 looks best, I think, in some of the less traditional colours. There is a taupy/greeny/goldy colour looks terrific. I don't think it looks good in black. Stay warm![:)]