130i

fsm2121

Dubspeed racing (web site) had a lengthy article regarding the 130i being released in the U.K. I asked my local sales rep if it was coming to these shores and he said "maybe 2007."

Anybody know anything more definitive than that? If you aren't aware, it's a four door the size of a VW Golf with BMWs new 3 liter pumped up to 256 hp.

BMW believes that hatchbacks do not sell in the US. The first 1 Series produced was a hatchback, BMW USA didn't want it. The line will be expanding to include a coupe and a cabrio, presumably the 130ci and 130 cic. Coupes and cabrios will start selling it in the US in 2007. But unless they change their mind, we won't see the 130i.

I personally really love hatchbacks, and the 1-series especially. The reason why the E36 318i hatchback didn't sell was that it was freaking ugly, and had an underpowered engine to seal the deal. It looked like an E36 coupe that had its trunk cut off. Plus now that the Audi A3 is here, BMW needs to step up with the 1-series or else Audi will have a class of its own.

The only real reason I could see why BMW wouldn't want to release the 1-series here is that it could tarnish their image of high end cars for the upper classes. If they make a car that is priced where anyone can afford it, owning a BMW won't mean much anymore. Then again, a small hatchback that's $25-30k is very high end and luxurious considering what it is. Who knows?