2006 325 vs 330

tl_boy

i'm thinking of purchasing a 3 series but am on a tight budget. i know i want to get the sport package, and leather seats, but don't care for any other option.

So do you think i could get the 3stage induction done to the 325 to make it a 330? w/o voiding the warranty? anyone know who can do this? I doubt it will cost 6k, the current difference between the two models.

Also, would it be possible to get the 18" upgrade wheels for the 330 on a 325?

and what negotiating tactics do you guys/gals suggest when i go to the dealership? should i submit proposals online thru edmunds.com/etc.?? or should i go in person and negotiate? what are some other cars in the 325i price range that i could lie and tell them i am seriously considering (just say they don't know that i really want only the bmw)

thanks

- I'm not sure about the 3 stage induction and whether that will void the warranty.

- Yes you can get the 18" rims for the 325i also.

- Negotiate in person. But since they are new models they are not discounting more than $500. The Infiniti G35, Audi A4, Mercedes C class, and Acura TL are all direct competitors to the 325i, all be it the 325i is probably the most expensive of them all...but that's because of the BMW badge.

-If I were you I would go with the 325i and then add to it, you will not regret it!

Good luck.

I have decided that if I was buying a new 3er, I would get a 325i with sport package and leather. I have driven both the 325i and the 330i, and I don't feel that the difference in power is worth anywhere near $6000. I wouldn't even worry about trying to "convert" the 325i to a 330i. The 325i is no slouch. Besides, converting the 325i to a 330i would require more than switching out intake manifolds - it would require updating the engine computer to the 330i engine software, and BMW's diagnostic software system isn't going to let a technician do that.

I'd just get the 325i and be happy with it.

Buying Service

If you have any access to any buying services that is very helpful as well, such as COSTCO, I believe AAA offers something as well. If you are willing to give a little on color and try and pit your local dealerships against each other, the best you will be able to do is probably $1000 above invoice right now.

I was pretty aggressive in purchasing my 325i, less then a week old now, but because of color choice and not wanting to wait for it, I had to take one with heated seats which I do not need in San Diego.

Good luck!

sly

sdblue325i said:
If you have any access to any buying services that is very helpful as well, such as COSTCO, I believe AAA offers something as well. If you are willing to give a little on color and try and pit your local dealerships against each other, the best you will be able to do is probably $1000 above invoice right now.

I was pretty aggressive in purchasing my 325i, less then a week old now, but because of color choice and not wanting to wait for it, I had to take one with heated seats which I do not need in San Diego.

Good luck!
Don't despair. Heated seats are also useful when your back gets stiff. Sometimes after a hard workout at the gym, I'll use my heated seats to help lossen up my back muscles.

Carnutt

Well, don't forget that besides the engine and chrome grill, with the 330 is the premium package, 17" wheels and Logic 7 premioum sound system. These included additions cut the difference between similarly equiped 325's and 330's to $3-4k

tl_boy

Thanks guys, btw i am in Houston. I have viewed the .PDF files containing the confidential wholesale price and base prices. The difference is large, approx 2,500.

It seems that posters are saying a good deal is $500 over european delivery (ED). is that $500 over the wholesale price or over the ed suggested retail price?

Are the wholesale prices good for anything, should i print it out and take it to the dealership?

In my opinion -- It's helpful to have that information in order to set the your ideal price as well as a realistic price that you could get the car for, but some of it just comes down to a matter of supply and demand. I would try calling several dealerships if you know exactly what you are looking and asking them if they have that car. Find out how many dealerships have that car, and then call them back in order to find out which one will get the closest to the price you are looking for. If one bites, buy it there. If no one bites, visit one of dealerships and see what other goodies they are willing to throw in.

This is pretty much what I did and paid a $1000 over invoice, which is good for the market here in San Diego. So I saved around $2000 from MSRP.