2007 335i improvements

doc1911 said:
I wish. I have 2 kids and I really need a sedan or I would have waited..........the M5 was just too much for my first dip into BMW's
They are both 4-passenger 2-door coupes....

If you need the sedan (4-doors), you may want to look into the new 328....

doc1911

The M5 is a 4 door sedan, it starts at $82K.....too rich for my blood. That's why I went with the 335i sedan. Now that I have had it for a couple months and I am getting used to how fast it is I was wondering what the outlook is for performance inhancements are.

Yes, I did get the sports package,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wow, first flash and exhaust inc. 65 rwhp and 75 tq. Wish I was living back near San Francisco. Thats great numbers. But they are pushing exhaust and tune, not sure why you need to replace the dual exhaust with a different dual exhaust... unless the factory is that restrictive.. but I don't think it is.. I drove the coupe and it seemed to breathe quite nicely. Plus, I don't want louder exhuast for my Daily Driver. They are getting $3k, but drop the exhuast and it should be quite less.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36987

well i guess i totally mis-gauged the question.
first i thought it was a coupe, and i didn't know you already had it..

congrats on the purchase. 335i sedan makes my zhp look tame..
oh well. still love the way she looks and drives ^^

doc1911

This would be my first venture into chipping a car. What are some of the potential problems, issues and pitfalls. I know it will void the warrenty, I'm talking about mechanical stuff

meegle

doc1911 said:
The M5 is a 4 door sedan, it starts at $82K.....too rich for my blood. That's why I went with the 335i sedan. Now that I have had it for a couple months and I am getting used to how fast it is I was wondering what the outlook is for performance inhancements are.

Yes, I did get the sports package,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Congrats on your purchase. My wife is also in the market for one of these.
I am familiar with MB's and the ECU's for them but a novice on chipping the BMW's.
I do know that a few MB dealers will still honor warranty issues while there are those who frown on it totally [:(!]
Your best bet would be to talk to different service manager/advisors about your intended modifications.

Did you get the manual or auto? we are looking at the auto, sport pkg, premium pkg and was wondering how you liked the paddle shifter(if you have the auto).
We have an 07 SL550 w-paddle shifter and it is downright slow and not as responsive as I would expect.

theroyalwe

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you can expect a HUGE performance increase with a computer upgrade. (as well as have an impossibly long first post) Have you spoken with Dinan? I'm sure they're working on their upgrades right now and will have a kit available shortly. The benefit of going with Dinan is that it will be fully warranteed and the work is done in a BMW dealer (maybe yours if they sell Dinan). The numbers from the link krafty posted are consistant with my expectations of an additional 100hp at the crank with just an engine tune on that car. In my formitive years I spent a lot of time with turbo cars and they offer the biggest bang for the buck as far as quick and easy upgrades.

Here is a little primer on turbos. I dont' know how much background you have on them, but I'm sure there are some people that don't need all this info. You can pretty much ignore it if you already know how the turbos work on your car.

Anyway:
A turbo will basically just keep building power exponentially (because of their nature, the more they work the more exhaust gasses will come back around and feed it) in a never ending upward spiral until something breaks. This forces the intake air to compress and you get much more oxygen per given volume. What that means is that more boost (the term for compressed air) will push more oxygen into the cylendars and with a properly tuned ECU more fuel will be added and that's pretty much the basics to getting more HP.

To regulate this boost manufacturers use a valve called a wastegate, which is controlled by the ECU. the more boost, the more HP. The thing is, manufacturers almost always tune their cars very very conservatively to get better mpg and make the car less of a bear to drive. This opens the wastegate and bleeds off any boost after it gets to the level that they have decided they need. Basically they are limiting how much boost can build up and consequently they are limiting the HP from the engine. HOWEVER, a simple computer upgrade and you can tap much more of that power that is available to you! A good tune will give you as much of that power as possible without taking risks with the reliability and fuel economy of your car. Everything is a compromise... a chip just favors performance rather than economy and longevity.

I'm pretty sure that a dinan tune would either completely replace the ECU for you, or be a piggy-back module that goes in afterwards. Because of their work directly with BMW they will have a slight edge as far as reliability and everything working correctly. Again, a big advantage to using something from Dinan is that they will completely warrantee everything that is no longer covered by BMW after the upgrade.

Normally, a 20 percent increase in power is the most you should do with sole ECU chipping. Without changing/tuning the drivetrain, engine components etc. you shouldn't go further than that if you plan on keeping the same engine/car life. So that would mean a 60 hp increase for the 335i with just a new chip/software upgrade without reliability problems in the future (got the 20 percent number from a reliable Dutch car magazine -chipping is quite normal over here, due to the large amount of turbodiesel cars in Europe).

Greetz