2017 BMW M2 Convertible

In the 1980s, BMW? s lineup of M cars consisted of only three models, the 3 Series, 5 Series, and 6 Series. Three decades later and the M family expanded to include six nameplates and a total of ten versions, including convertible body styles and special-edition models such as the M4 GTS. With the recently introduced M2, the M lineup grew yet again to include 11 models, but the expansion is far from complete.

While M versions of the 1 Series, X1, and X3 are also likely to follow sooner than later, the M2 Convertible is probably the next model to arrive in dealerships. Munich has yet to confirm such a car is in the pipeline, but given both the M4 and the M6 have received cabriolet body styles, a drop-top M2 makes a lot of sense.

Not only would it give BMW enthusiasts access to a proper competitor for the upcoming Audi TT RS Roadster, but it could also give the Porsche Boxster Spyder a reason to worry. With the M2 as quick as the Cayman GT4 in a straight line and capable of a sub-eight-minute lap around the N?rburgring, I?m sure the M2 Convertible will be nearly as impressive as the coupe.

There?s no word as to when the M2 Convertible will arrive, but I expect it to break cover in 2016 and hit dealerships for the 2017 model year.

Although the M2 Convertible is just speculation as of this writing, its design is far from being a mystery. As illustrated by our rendering here, the drop-top will be identical to the coupe from the waist down, meaning it will sport every single feature that makes the M2 Coupe a cool car save for the roof. Much like the M2 follows into the footsteps of the M4, the M2 Convertible should mirror the M4 Convertible, but stand out thanks to its shorter wheelbase and chunkier proportions.

It remains to be seen whether the M2 will be as sexy without a roof, but it should look as aggressive as the coupe with those big front bumper intakes, racy rear diffuser, and big exhaust outlets.

Though it?s likely the Convertible will be offered in the same colors as the Coupe, meaning Long Beach Blue Metallic, Alpine Alpine White, Black Sapphire Metallic, and Mineral Grey Metallic, we decided that our rendering should sport a flashier exterior with a chrome finish. Don?t expect to find this hue in BMW?s regular catalog, but I?m sure something similar can be ordered from BMW Individual for a few thousand bucks.

The interior of the M2 Convertible will be identical to the Coupe, so just erase the B- and C-pillars. If having a soft-top above your head doesn?t bother you, then you will definitely enjoy all those sporty M features that make the M2 special. As a brief reminder, the beefed-up compact features M-badged sports seats with adjustable side bolsters, black Dakota leather with blue contrast stitching, and loads of carbon-fiber on the dashboard and center console.

Also look for an M-specific instrument cluster with custom dials and needles, a 200-mph speedometer, 8,000-rpm tachometer, and a dozen M logos all over the place. Like the coupe, the drop-top should also get the GoPro and M Laptimer apps that will allow the driver to film their hot laps and analyze parameters such as speed, longitudinal and lateral acceleration, engine speed, steering angle, accelerator position, and fuel consumption.

Naturally, the M2 Convertible will use the Coupe?s 3.0-liter, inline-six rated at 365 turbocharged horses and 343 pound-feet of torque, which kicks in at only 1,400 rpm. The output represents a 45-horsepower and 13-pound-feet improvement over the M235i.

The same six-speed manual and dual-clutch automatic transmissions should be available alongside the standard Active M Differential. Also fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, a wider track, and a lightweight M Sport suspension, the M2 Convertible should hit 60 mph in around 4.3 seconds with the automatic and about 4.5 ticks with the manual, making it a tenth-second slower than the Coupe due to the added weight and slightly altered aerodynamics.

Expect the M2 Convertible to be a tad slower than the Coupe on the N?rburgring as well. While the latter claims to lap the "Green Hell" in 7:58 minutes, the drop-top should take more than eight minutes for the same benchmark, which would be pretty impressive for a cabriolet.

BMW has yet to release pricing for the M2 Coupe, but word has it the Germans will ask about $51,000 for it before options. Given the M235i Convertible carries a ten percent premium over the M23i Coupe, I expect the M2 Convertible to retail from around $56,000.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/2017-bmw-m2-convertible-ar171489.html