320i pics

theweapon

hey, im new to this forum so thought id start out by posting a few pics of my car, which a purchased today. a bit of work has been done, but im going to carry it on. let me know what you think

theweapon

hey, thanks for feedback so far. n yeah, they sound ****ing amazing. also its got a custom exhaust, one silence in the middle to a exhaust off a superbike, so sounds even louder, music to my ears.

and as for what im doing to it-sort out some of the body work, not much, most has been done, get a new front windscreen-has few large chips, get some bucket seats, tint the windows n possibly the rear lights, get a strut brace, possibly an induction kit/performance filter, etc. the usual stuff.

also, it said it had a factory fitted alarm, n on the key, it has a switch, but nothing happens. it it pretty easy to wire one in, n also, get hold of one? and in the handbook it says something about an immobiliser, because i have a computer in the dash which has numbers to deactivate the immobiliser....will this also be easy to fit?

thanks, max

hey, thanks for feedback so far. n yeah, they sound ****ing amazing. also its got a custom exhaust, one silence in the middle to a exhaust off a superbike, so sounds even louder, music to my ears.

and as for what im doing to it-sort out some of the body work, not much, most has been done, get a new front windscreen-has few large chips, get some bucket seats, tint the windows n possibly the rear lights, get a strut brace, possibly an induction kit/performance filter, etc. the usual stuff.

also, it said it had a factory fitted alarm, n on the key, it has a switch, but nothing happens. it it pretty easy to wire one in, n also, get hold of one? and in the handbook it says something about an immobiliser, because i have a computer in the dash which has numbers to deactivate the immobiliser....will this also be easy to fit?

thanks, max
320i, my first BMW in... 1987!!! Yes, I know my age will show...

Great car. I remember, there was a switch in the glove box that would shut the car down. You turn "the alarm" on, and like you said, turn the key in and nothing...
I scared myself a few times by forgetting I has ther system on...LOL
Happy Driving and welcome[driving]

Immobiliser on the dash computer is activated using the "code" button. The button on th key is usually just a mini flashlight in the key that won't work anymore. (look where the key enters the key fob and you'll see a small bulb).

theweapon

ah right...are you saying that i can program it so it has an immobiliser? or has it got its own number built in which i have to use? atm it hasnt got anything, i just put the key in n start it. also....i havent looked yet, but i looked in a book n it says its belt driven? this true? or is it chain driven like most other bmws? if it is belt, is it pretty easy to change, n have u gotto have specific tensioning and locking tools?

Belt is relatively straight forward. Remove radiator and hoses, remove fan and alternator belts, remove distributor cap and rotor. Remove timing belt covers, turn motor by hand to TDC, change belt and tensioner and inspect water pump, triple check timing, reassemble and flush cooling system. Easy.

Instructions here.

If you have the OBC with the code button, yes you program it yourself. With the key in the ignition so the OBC is lit, press code, enter a code and then turn off key. Next time you go to start it will prompt you to re-enter the code. I think you have to do this every time though. (ie it doen't remember your code or that you want to use one - have to reset every time you want to immobilise.

Get an aftermarket alarm with proper dual immobilisers and save on your insurance at the same time plus get keyless entry.

Your car looks great.
Really, what does that superbike exhaust sound like, does it give that "tin can" sound?
Are there plans to put new carpet in?
I think the m20 sounds "the most badass" straight out the exhaust manifold!

Leave the carpet out.

And I disagree about the sound out the manifold. Sounds like a diesel motor launch at idle and some cheap stock-car when screaming. i know, I woke up my entire neighbourhood when I did my manual swap and was so excited I couldn't wait to put the exhaust back on to take it for a spin when I finished at 2am. redline in 3rd with no exhaust.

Fun, loud, but sounded like shit.

theweapon

thanks doughnut. n the exhaust makes it sound a bit like an old mini (when people put bigger exhausts on them, pref the dtm exhausts) when its idling, but when u rev it, its just like a loud straight 6, sounds lovely.

n as for carpets, im prob gonna leave the interior how it is, unless i come up with something good.

also, the immobiliser problem, i read in the handbook how to program it, but i might leave it for now in case it goes wrong n i cant start it. i'll prob do what echo said n put a good alarm etc on it.

Leave the carpet out.

And I disagree about the sound out the manifold. Sounds like a diesel motor launch at idle and some cheap stock-car when screaming. i know, I woke up my entire neighbourhood when I did my manual swap and was so excited I couldn't wait to put the exhaust back on to take it for a spin when I finished at 2am. redline in 3rd with no exhaust.

Fun, loud, but sounded like shit.
Awesome, I did the same thing with my old 325e when I swapped my engine... loud as hell!! I was just happy that it started up!