528i air comes on when car is turned on

Whenever I turn on my car, the ventilation system automatically turns on to the first step. This can get sort of annoying and I've asked around and people have told me you can't turn it off. They didn't sound too sure though so im gonna ask here: is there any way to turn off this feature?

Here is an *attempt* to help...

I noticed in tha manual under "Vehicle Memory, Key Memory" that one of the items stored in key memory is "The automatic climate control assumes your preset comfort settings when you unlock the vehicle." ...so I'm assuming that you shut down the entire ventilation system (by lowering the fan speed all the way until the display turns off) before removing the key, right? I can understand that perhaps the system will turn itself on if it has been left in "auto" mode (either auto air flow direction, auto fan speed, or both). I'll give this a try the next time I'm in the car.
Hope this help,

I have a 2003 540 and my boss has a 2003 530 and they both do exactly what you are saying!

It's so freakin' annoying!!!

The dealer says it is how the system is supposed to work.

I have noticed that under certain circumstances the system does NOT come back on when I start the car.

I have been trying to duplicate a set of circumstances where it "remembers" that I do not wan the damn system on when I turn it off and leave the vehicle!

If I figure it out I'll definitely post it.

i have a 328iS and this may not help, but......

even when i shut everything down, when i turn the car back on i get one bar at the temp. i had previously set. its just default to have air circulating. but yeah, one bar default, and i'm kind of glad for that. i would hate to have it come blasting on every time i start my car.

jrtoons said:
I have a 2003 540 and my boss has a 2003 530 and they both do exactly what you are saying!

It's so freakin' annoying!!!

The dealer says it is how the system is supposed to work.

I have noticed that under certain circumstances the system does NOT come back on when I start the car.

I have been trying to duplicate a set of circumstances where it "remembers" that I do not wan the damn system on when I turn it off and leave the vehicle!

If I figure it out I'll definitely post it.
Thank god I thought I was the only one going insane. I don't know why it does it it's pointless, and during the winter it's a living hell!

VANCE

hit the "auto" button..granted i dont have the newfangled technology (1997 328i).but my a/c comes on while that button is lit up and doesnt when its not[thumb]

frolf said:
i have a 328iS and this may not help, but......

even when i shut everything down, when i turn the car back on i get one bar at the temp. i had previously set. its just default to have air circulating. but yeah, one bar default, and i'm kind of glad for that. i would hate to have it come blasting on every time i start my car.
Yeah ...this is exactly what I've observed on my 2002 530. Upon restarting the car, the system would be set to one bar (fan speed), and it would also remember the previously set temperature settings (driver and passenger). Fine by me.

OK, now I'm with you...

My last car was a 97 528i and believe it or not when I first bought it, I could not figure how to turn off the climate control at all, and I thought it was just a normal occurence that it was on all the time. With that car and my current car, I have noticed that if you turn the climate control off before exiting the vehicle, that it doesn't come back on... or at least that's what I think has done it for me without some sort of formal study on the functions. Also with the heat the way it is now, having those 5 dots at about 70F click on when the ignition is turned on is an absolute necessity. [driving]

ah_cruz said:
Here is an *attempt* to help...

I noticed in tha manual under "Vehicle Memory, Key Memory" that one of the items stored in key memory is "The automatic climate control assumes your preset comfort settings when you unlock the vehicle." ...so I'm assuming that you shut down the entire ventilation system (by lowering the fan speed all the way until the display turns off) before removing the key, right? I can understand that perhaps the system will turn itself on if it has been left in "auto" mode (either auto air flow direction, auto fan speed, or both). I'll give this a try the next time I'm in the car.
Hope this help,
I guess this is more along the lines of what I was trying to say as this is my experience as well.

Hey D - They are just trying to help. I notice that many people state the obvious just in case we missed it I guess-[8]

I really like the responses to some questions from people that clearly are pulling the answer out of their butt and don't even own a car like the one we are discussing![?|]

Hey try this, shut off the system and exit the car normally. Lock the car with the key. Then wait only 1 minute and unlock it and start it up. Does it stay off? My boss says he did it this morning and it stayed off. I’ll try it when I leave work today. It may be that after a certain amount of time lapses BMW programmed the system to come on because the air is stale--[scratch]

Trying to help

jrtoons said:
Hey D - They are just trying to help. I notice that many people state the obvious just in case we missed it I guess-[8]

I really like the responses to some questions from people that clearly are pulling the answer out of their butt and don't even own a car like the one we are discussing![?|]

Hey try this, shut off the system and exit the car normally. Lock the car with the key. Then wait only 1 minute and unlock it and start it up. Does it stay off? My boss says he did it this morning and it stayed off. I’ll try it when I leave work today. It may be that after a certain amount of time lapses BMW programmed the system to come on because the air is stale--[scratch]
I have owned the car in question and have provided relevant input, besides the X5 4.4i is the 540i on stilts. Same engine, nav system, board computer, steptronic trani to include the same climate control. Which brings me back to the reason I purchased one (the fact that it's so much like the 5er)!! Whatever man, it wasn't that long ago since my 5er was in my garage, and I really think it's a factory set option that's the root to this particular problem. Guess I'll go back and hang out in the X forum side of the house. [burnout] [wave]

Kierre - don't take it so personally. All input is appreciated! [:p]

I figured out the pattern, sort of.

If you turn it off and wait a short amount of time (haven't figured out what amount of time that is) it stays off. I tryed 1 minute and 2 minutes and it stayed off.

Maybe a few of us can experiment and see what the parameters are for it (just for fun since you really can't turn it off.)

Re: Trying to help

Kierre said:
I have owned the car in question and have provided relevant input, besides the X5 4.4i is the 540i on stilts. Same engine, nav system, board computer, steptronic trani to include the same climate control. Which brings me back to the reason I purchased one (the fact that it's so much like the 5er)!! Whatever man, it wasn't that long ago since my 5er was in my garage, and I really think it's a factory set option that's the root to this particular problem. Guess I'll go back and hang out in the X forum side of the house. [burnout] [wave]
Yo Kierre! Come back to the X side. We're nicer.[driving] [:p]

jrtoons said:

That's a good idea... I'll try that (if I remember to).