5spd transmission wont shift into reverse??

More info?? Do you mean it won't physically go into reverse, or you select reverse and it doesn't move? Any noises when you try? Any play in the gear shift? What was it like before it stopped working?

etc etc.

Damien325

More info?? Do you mean it won't physically go into reverse, or you select reverse and it doesn't move? Any noises when you try? Any play in the gear shift? What was it like before it stopped working?

etc etc.[/QUOTE

It wont phisically shift into reverse. There is no noise. I dont no what it was like befroe because i got the car in this condition. All other gears shift and work smooth.....

It wont phisically shift into reverse. There is no noise. I dont no what it was like befroe because i got the car in this condition. All other gears shift and work smooth.....
Excessive play in your gear shift linkage bushes will cause difficulty selecting gears.

Test: Put your shifter into the neural position and lightly feel the "slop" in the shifter, Generally you will have around a 1/4 of an inch "freeplay/Slop" in the shifter.

alternatively if you can select all forward gears ok, but not reverse expect a shift detent ball/spring blocking shift movement for reverse.

Drop the gearbox oil into a clean container and inspect the oil for foreign bits and pieces.

Also Damien325 is this your first BMW?

Graham, do you think he is doing what I think he is doing? Japanese gearbox etc etc???!! [;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

Catch my drift dude??

That crossed my mind.

I'll put him out of his misery.

Damien,

Reverse is left, then left some more (have to put more force on the lever to push against a spring), then up.

If you already knew that, and still can't select reverse, then the previous comments apply.