95 740il OBC/Display Board Problem

Hi everyone, I just found this forum and it has already been a great help to diagnose a couple issues with my new BMW. Heres a few questions/problems that I cant seem to resolve and if anyone has any ideas I’d greatly appreciate it! Forgive me if I ramble or ask a question already answered on the forum. I did my best to search and find solutions for my problems.

I just got a 1995 740il (I love it, even got the updated rims! Anyway…) it has about 130,000 miles on it. Of course it’s a very solid car (as I expected it to be) but while driving for a few minutes I get the following messages on the LCD above the steering column displayed (most of the time) one after another. The first message I got was when I was pulling in to my driveway, I heard the gong/dinging noise and it displayed “Stop! Engine Oil Pressure”. I immediately shut off the car suspecting leak/low oil. After checking the oil multiple times, I found it had the right amount. I didn’t give it another thought and the next day drove it and the same thing happened after about 5 minutes of driving. Then it continued to read “Low Washer Fluid” (I checked that too, it was full to the top), “Check Low Beams” (there fine), “Low Key Remote Battery” (replaced, but still does it), “Check Brake Lights” (all working) and maybe two others. Other times I have had it only say Stop! Engine Oil Pressure. I find it hard to believe that all of these (sensors?) are faulty and it has more to do with the on board computer. Is there a way to reset the OBC? I found information about jumping two pins but I don’t think it applies to my model. I also was reading something about a NiCad battery in the interment panel? Would that cause any of this? [???1] (bimmer newbie).

Another problem that is minor but I need to attend to is that in the trunk battery compartment there is some “white corrosion/battery acid” from what looks like the previous battery (I hope) leaking to the side of where it sits. I assume the battery needs to be disconnected, pulled and the area cleaned so it won’t eat threw the trunk. My question is what is the best way to do this? If I disconnect the battery will my radio become locked? What will I have to reset and will the obc get screwed up more then it is or would it help it (see above)?

Thanks everyone and again sorry if I seem ignorant [:I] I’m sure most of you have repeated answers to simple questions over and over. Thanks again, Dwight

ibew 595

1 answer

If you disconnect your battery, you will need an activation code for the radio. This is so anyone who takes your radio will not have one that works. I will also send you an email with some other information.