A 318i... M10 :O

So, my E34 has crapped the bed... blown it's hydraulic clutch while sitting in an underground garage, 60kms away from all my tools. It's got a bad wheel bearing, shattered highbeam, shattered fog light, my rear Bilsteins are shot for some reason, my M5 rims need new rubber ($$), ball joints are all shot to hell, and the engine burns oil.

So to the point, I'm going to look at a silver 1983 318i with a standard tranny tomorrow. I just checked out a POS 1991 318is that the guy wanted $4 grand for... I wouldn't offer him $100. The place that is selling it is the same guy that sold me my cabrio, and sold my mom her ultra low km's 325i. Apparently, this 318i has only 95,000kms, which is very low for a 26 year old car. I told him I'd buy it if he put a M50 in it, and he told me he'd put a S52 in it... but I would almost prefer a M30. Anyways, this is all up in the air right now. I haven't seen it yet, let alone dropped a new engine in it. I also don't know how much he wants for it.

I'd almost consider leaving the M10 in it, and cleaning the crap out of it, and making it look brand new. (Joseph, you must be puking by now!) [headbang]

Anyways, I'll let you know how it goes, and then I might have to become the "cabrio guy", the "M42 guy", and the "M10 guy" around here... Damn all you guys with your M20s!!!!!!! (and M30)

Okay, so the sticker price was $5995, but I've got him at $4500 right now... I still think it's a little too much for a 26 year old car... It's in pretty good shape though. The paint is peeling a little bit, but the rockers are strong, and the front quarters are great. The undercarriage is great, and the exhaust isn't bad at all. 5 speed, crank windows, crank sunroof (no rust), central locks still work, no rips in the interior. Overall, a pretty clean E30. The only things I don't care for are the drum brakes, the M10 (which pulled just fine), and the ride height, but that can all be worked out I guess. I dunno... I'm 50/50 on buying this thing. We'll see by the end of the week.

No V12 for me Dan, but I like the idea:)

+1 champ.

No matter how good condition that e30 is in, It's an expensive shell! The m10 (In NA form) is a boat anchor, L-jet with only 4 pots is 10 times worse than my old m20b23 was!

If it was cheaper you could buy it and I could give you an exclusive walkthrough on the m30 swap as I now know the square engine harness plug inside out!! all you need to do is source parts and off you go! lol.

The reason that poor old e34 is the way it is, is because of you Scotty!!! SHAME ON YOU![poke] e34's need tender love and care too. lol, j/k.

You'd buy an M5, and it would cost you another M5 worth of parts to keep it running. The amount of ball joints that wear out on those things is ridiculous. The E34's were built out of poop. Seriously!! My doors are falling off from metal fatigue, flapping front fenders, rust along the trunk lid... Not a huge fan of E34's right now, although I did look at an E34 M5 while I was getting my clutch slave cylinder replaced. (yes, I paid to have it done... to tow it back to my place equalled the expense of having it fixed by someone else.)

Yes I'm bitter. Burning rags in the gas cap for all E34's!!