Any e30 owners drive an e46 330i?

I don't want to hear about what they are like to drive from an e46 owner - I want to hear from an e30 owner.

I'm going to drive one myself of course, but would like to hear of other peoples experiences, esp if it was a manual coupe.

There's a chance I may be getting something like this if the driving experience lives up to expectations:

Never driven an e46 before dude, hell, the only other bmw's I've driven was one 323i e30 coupe, 535i e28 sedan, and a little go of a e34 540i.

I can only imagine it would handle and accelerate far better than a e30 ever could, and would definintly live up to the driving experience you are after.

Ive seen a e46 m3 in that gray colour you can get and it looked absolute tits! (was on optioned 18's too!)

I have driven both the 4 door and 2 door e46 330i in manual and automatic transmission and i have to say they are a blast to drive. I didn't notice much of a difference between the coup and sedan although i would definitely pick the manual over the auto. You get some hefty acceleration and it handles extremely well. That was actually the next car I wanted to buy, the coup 330i with the 6 speed manual. I just didn't have the funds for it.
Although if you can fork out an additional 10k i would get the e46 M3, because it blows the 330i away in almost every aspect.

Thanks iliad.

Not only could I probably not afford the m3, I certainly couldn't afford to maintain it - priced e46 m3 parts lately?? Ouch!!!

I would only buy a manual, problem is they are much harder to come by. Even though the tiptronic auto performs very well, they have a reputation for breaking, and they are very expensive to fix and/or replace.

The price of an e46 330i has dropped dramatically recently, hence the seed planted in my mind. I can get a good e46 330i for e36 m3 money, and I don't like the e36 body styling.

At the moment I just have to make a decision as buying the e46 would shelve my plans for my e30 - I would keep the e30 as it is, but wouldn't be following through with my 2.8L supercharged stroker plans.

Thanks iliad.

Not only could I probably not afford the m3, I certainly couldn't afford to maintain it - priced e46 m3 parts lately?? Ouch!!!

I would only buy a manual, problem is they are much harder to come by. Even though the tiptronic auto performs very well, they have a reputation for breaking, and they are very expensive to fix and/or replace.

The price of an e46 330i has dropped dramatically recently, hence the seed planted in my mind. I can get a good e46 330i for e36 m3 money, and I don't like the e36 body styling.

At the moment I just have to make a decision as buying the e46 would shelve my plans for my e30 - I would keep the e30 as it is, but wouldn't be following through with my 2.8L supercharged stroker plans.
That's true e46 m3 parts are high.
Yea, I hate the tiptronic though (it feels like it takes forever to shift).
I think you can pick up a 330i for like 12k in the states.

I want to supercharge my stroked 2.7 e30 also,
I was looking into the lowen design supercharger kits, they say you can get 80 more horses with their 100% bolt on kit. Although they don't disclose their price for it. I emailed them and am waiting for a response.
Brian.

That's true e46 m3 parts are high.
Yea, I hate the tiptronic though (it feels like it takes forever to shift).
I think you can pick up a 330i for like 12k in the states.

I want to supercharge my stroked 2.7 e30 also,
I was looking into the lowen design supercharger kits, they say you can get 80 more horses with their 100% bolt on kit. Although they don't disclose their price for it. I emailed them and am waiting for a response.
Brian.
So, why charge your m20's? why not just turbo the suckers and be done with it?

We've gone off topic, but hopefully any e46 owners may still post.

Charged m20's - there's a couple in nz, but all the ones I've seen are poorly done with low-quality workmanship. I've seen one on you-tube - the noise the charger made was awesome! There's a couple on other forums - you gave me a link to one in Oz, joseph. European Car Club of Aus.

I'm going to try and get a drive of an e46 330i manual, and also go have a talk to a mechanic in Auckland who built my friends race motor (3.2L m20!) to see if I can come to a decision as to which way to go.

blacksox

hello i just happen to have a complete vortech v2 supercharger the will bolt right up to your 330 because i took it off my 328ci e46 . It is all complete mounting brackets all air tubing and pulley , everything you need. This thing puts out 6 psi. This supercharger made my 328 into a monster. It was to much for me.My stock hp was around 190hp with the supercharger it made about 330hp . Check it out on the vortech web site.