At what point do you replace your tires?

I have 4 brand new Mich PS's sitting in the garage. The current rears still have what appears to be tread. [burnout] My fronts have @ 30 - 40 % left.

Do you guys replace as soon as you get to the wear bars or do you push it? My thinking is "hey, it's summer, I can get a few more miles outa these babies". [paranoid]

So, what do you guys think? Replace the rears now? Later? All 4 now? All 4 later?

Questions for U?

1. You prefer the car sticky when driving at high speed?

2. Familiar w/ the behavior of those tire in the rain? Comfy w/ them do that in the rain or pot hole of water, while cars are so close next to you on the other lanes. If so, I will save the tires for the snow.

Take it to a parking lot, turn off DSC and Traction Control, and have fun taking the rest of the tread off. This is the best time to "experiment" with the power of your car. No worries of ruining a new set of tires or having to replace them when your done.....

;)

good way to replace tires is to replace the rears only the first time, then all 4 the second time. from most of what i read of high perf rwds, rears will bald twice as fast in most cases.

mixing/ matching different tire brands aren't the best idea from what i read, so i would prolly replace them altogether. lasting thing you want is to slide off the road, with new tires sitting in your garage.. you know, its your call. keep us posted.

Stitch said:
Questions for U?

1. You prefer the car sticky when driving at high speed?
Yes. [;)]
Stitch said:
2. Familiar w/ the behavior of those tire in the rain? Comfy w/ them do that in the rain or pot hole of water, while cars are so close next to you on the other lanes. If so, I will save the tires for the snow.
No rain really to speak of in the bay area.

///M SPEED said:
Take it to a parking lot, turn off DSC and Traction Control, and have fun taking the rest of the tread off. This is the best time to "experiment" with the power of your car. No worries of ruining a new set of tires or having to replace them when your done.....

;)
I like this plan. [hihi]

Average Jae said:
good way to replace tires is to replace the rears only the first time, then all 4 the second time. from most of what i read of high perf rwds, rears will bald twice as fast in most cases.

mixing/ matching different tire brands aren't the best idea from what i read, so i would prolly replace them altogether. lasting thing you want is to slide off the road, with new tires sitting in your garage.. you know, its your call. keep us posted.
I'm keeping the same tire brand/model.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try to snap some pics of the rears to show ya what I'm working with. [idea]

silvere46m3

4000 Post Club
///M SPEED said:

;)
i like this idea [:D]

silvere46m3

4000 Post Club
since it is not raining, (if this was my car) i would push it just a little more, then by winter i will have the tires changed. having bold tires in rain is NOT good at all. (as a drifter, and experienced with bold tires in rain) the rear end will slide out, even with traction control by your side. remember the laws of physics.

silvere46m3 said:
since it is not raining, (if this was my car) i would push it just a little more, then by winter i will have the tires changed. having bold tires in rain is NOT good at all. (as a drifter, and experienced with bold tires in rain) the rear end will slide out, even with traction control by your side. remember the laws of physics.
So true, even when going in a straight line an M3 will break loose and want to go sideways with bald tires and that is not even taking into consideration of the rain. You add water (rain) and it can be downright scary.

Have fun and find a place that is safe for you, your car, and everyone else and where you wont get hassled by the police. Do some burnouts, drifts, doughnuts, and/or practice launching the car. This could be a fun time for you as long as you are safe and in control….

Agreed, I think I'll push it until the fall.

BTW, I havn't had a ticket yet, so I don't want to start now. I'll be smart about it.

Update:
Good news is I pushed it 3 more months. [driving]

Bad news is the place that mounted the tires totally F'd up my passenger side lip and semi-F'd up my driver's side lip.

They took responsibility but they'll need my car a couple days to send out the rims to have them fixed. [thumbd]

I'm almost afraid to see what the rental car is going to be...