Bluetooth technology vs. Old BMW Phones

heckler

Hi folks:

Just got my first BMW (2003 530i) and I am in love. However, i'm wondering on the specs regarding the telephone system. I don't currently own a cell phone, but thought I might buy one if the new BMW was Bluetooth enabled. Bluetooth is a new cell phone standard used by many commercial off the shelf phones. Advantage: you don't have to pay $2000 to install a special BMW phone - you can use your regular cell phone with all the integrated features of the car.

I've been told my car is pre-wired for the old legacy system, adnd i've also seen some internet links regarding bluetooth retrofit kits..

Has anyone done any research, work, swapping out of these systems and has some technical background? If I can get bluetooth working I might buy a phone to use with the car..

Thanks

Bluetooth had its heyday. Not anymore. I think the Wireless Lan (802.11x) will be the dominant player in the markets. Actually, Bluetooth was firstly suggested as a protocol and technology standard for communication among user devices (printers, computers, etc.) It only offers 1Mbps in 10 -100m, which is much lower than IMT2000/CDMA2000/802.11x. Furthermore, many different interfaces and difficult connection set-up between devices made people annoying. Buy a mobile phone regardless of your BMW. And I am pretty sure it will make your life much convenient. [:D]

heckler said:
Hi folks:

Just got my first BMW (2003 530i) and I am in love. However, i'm wondering on the specs regarding the telephone system. I don't currently own a cell phone, but thought I might buy one if the new BMW was Bluetooth enabled. Bluetooth is a new cell phone standard used by many commercial off the shelf phones. Advantage: you don't have to pay $2000 to install a special BMW phone - you can use your regular cell phone with all the integrated features of the car.

I've been told my car is pre-wired for the old legacy system, adnd i've also seen some internet links regarding bluetooth retrofit kits..

Has anyone done any research, work, swapping out of these systems and has some technical background? If I can get bluetooth working I might buy a phone to use with the car..

Thanks

Last edited: