Bmw 99 740il

Hi,

I have just changed from Lexus Ls 400 to BMW 740il.
I bought a 1999 model and have two slight problems. At least i hope they are minor problems.I got it yesterday and my mechanic had a look at it but is away on hols right now.

An intermittant thump noise comes from the rear of the car as if someone had run into the back of you, and this aslo happens when the car is stationery.It is as if it is releasing some pressure or something.

Also the computer display is all fuzzy and i could just make out that "coolant level low" and brake fluid low on the screen.

Any ideas before I take it to the garage who will no doubt rip me off.

Thanks Newbie from Dublin,Ireland

Levko

Bimmer vs Lexus

I just wondering:
How would you compare those two automobiles BMW 740 and Lexus 400 ?

After I got " coolant level low" light on my 2001 BMW 740 I had to change the radiator.
Goo luck to you,
IL

I have the 740il abouttwo weeks. I am finding it hard to get use to.The ls 400 was more responsive and lighter on the road.Power steering much better on Ls 400. To be fair , its a bit early for me to fully compare, but i will advise once i have made my mind up. The garage have mislaid the owners manual.Can you help.

How does the BMW phone work. It says "insert card". Where do you get this card and how does it work.

By the way , i have the coolant level warning on now also.In for a service tomorrow.

Cheers.

Levko

Thank you fro responding, I was debating between LS and 740 and ....at the end I got 2001 740 Sport.
I bought mine without a phone and I heard even you have one it sucks, BMW (admits it's not that good) and trying to switch to different system or something.
Perhaps, you can get manual at the dealership.
How long you have had your Lexus for? What year was it?
Thank you again,
IL

Cheers mate,

I had the lexus for 3 years and it is now 1994 - immaculate condition - 100,000 mls and i never had any trouble with it. Was looking at the Ls 430, but decided a change and went for BMW as the car i bought was on the airport run for a Dublin diplomat and had low mileage and my sons friends father is a part onwer of the BMW garage.So it made sense. It is in the garage for a full service since yesterday afternoon and i am driving the Lexus today and the 740 is much more luxurious. My sister wil take the 400 for 4,000.00 Euros.

Regarding the BMW phone kit - it says "insert card" - what card ?????

Levko

Very good switch, but I don't think the the BIMER is going to have the same relaibility record, it brakes more often unfortunately.
I was looking for 98-00 LS400 which is even more luxurios car on the market in that class but BIMER is more exiting to drive, especially with the Sport package.

Just forget about that BMW phone! I don't know about Dublin area but here in the US we have pretty good mobile phones, I recomend wireless "bluetooth technology" it works just great!
Let me know how it goes.
Good luck,
Yours,
IL