BMW dumps Williams F1

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]"In a move which may have dramatic political consequences for the sport, BMW yesterday ditched its partnership with Williams by announcing that it had bought the Swiss-based Sauber team, who have yet to win a grand prix. [/font] [font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The move could severely weaken plans for a breakaway world championship in 2008, once the current Concorde agreement expires. [/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Williams-BMW have been aligned with McLaren-Mercedes at the hawkish end of the group of seven teams who are threatening to split with Bernie Ecclestone and start a separate championship unless they get a bigger share of the sport's commercial revenues."
[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Probably a fire sale coming on these HP Cameras!

[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]

[/font]

epj3

AWESOME. I've been waiting for this!!!!

The announcer at CBS (Canadian GP - the announcers were both idiots) said that "BMW might be building their own chassis next year but it will put them at a serious disadvantage since they don't have chassis building experience"

Aparently they forgot that BMW Motorsport has a history of giving other teams random and unexpected surprises...

Williams was blaming bmw for not building a competitve engine - and bmw was blaming williams for not building a competitive chassis. I no expert but the BMW motor is one of the 3 most powerful on the field - in fact last year their motor was more powerful than Ferrari's. I really hope this means good things for BMW.

BMW is a racing company at heart............I very seriously doubt there will be any problems in chassis design. They just need some outstanding pilots.

epj3

I'll bet everyone here $10 that BMW will have an american driver on their F1 team in the next 3 years... 2008.

If they split off from Formula 1 and help start another race series with the 6 other teams who were talking about it, having an american driver would DEFINITELY help the new series' popularity in the U.S.

Probably someone from PTG, since they are basically part of the family - Bill Auberlen and Boris Said would be high on the list, I think.

so far i've heard that BMW wants to keep Heidfeld on for their own team. He was only brought up for this year, and they are happy with his results thus far. As for the fire sale for the cameras, i can keep an eye out. Afterall, HP signs my paycheck. Right now it still has not been reduced below $350 usd.

Also, i took a read of the press release and its still not confirmed that Williams has dropped BMW, they are in negotiation. I have heard that Williams is interested in Toyota as well.

Oh well, hopefully they dont chose Michelin for their tires. :)

epj3

Chesty Bonds said:
And it looks as though the BMW-Williams 'partnership' has deteriorated yet further:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33347

I'm still surprised at how quick the transition is going to be with Sauber next year...It'll take BMW years to build up the winning infrastructure needed and it's going to cost them a fortune. I hope they know what they're in for.
I'm pretty sure bmw motorsport is pretty well funded - and sure it'll take a few years, but sauber isn't going anywhere! They now have the resources to develop their chassis in supposively the most advanced wind tunnel in Formula 1...sounds like they are on a WINNING combination. Best wind tunnel in f1, best engine builder in f1, etc.

And I sincerely do think it is williams fault for the lack of winning results. BMW has done NOTHING but improved the engine since they did very well 2 or 3 years ago - but williams keeps redesigning the chassis (like the FW26...wtf), and we all know they ended up back with a modified version of the FW25 chassis...