Bmw M3 And Sirius

VMM

Hey All,

Just recently discovered this website and it's forums. Some great info about the ultimate driving machine.

I have been agonizing over what car to buy and have gone from an S4 to the M3 to the M5 to the 545i. My decision has been a tough one as I have thought of the safety, driveability, practicality, and looks factor for all aforementioned models. The M3 discussion has been complicated by the new M3 (with 4 doors) plus the possibility that the next version will be only available in SMG. [bigcry]

After having waded through all the possibilities I have settled on the 2005 M3 with competition package (couldn't resist Interlagos Blue). The dealer which I am going to order the car from stated that Sirius satellite radio was unavailable. This contradicts what a friend of mine who bought an M3 in Boston last fall has told me. He was told (by the dealer) that all M3's have the Sirius built in but that you have to pay a fee to have it turned on. That sounds strange to me but he swears that he does have the Satellite radio. [?|]

My other question is regarding the deletion of all the control buttons from the steering wheel. My understanding is that cruise control is unavailable. I have gathered that the reason that Premium package requires the DVD navigation is that the controls for Bluetooth and BMW assist will be via the navigation screen. Does anyone have any info or thoughts about the above. Sorry for the long winded post. I just want to be armed with all the info before I order our new addition. [driving2]

According to the BMW website, it looks like you don't have the option for Sirius or XM satellite radio. As for the steering wheel buttons (cruise control & audio controls), the M3 Competition Package removes those steering wheel buttons because it is replaced with a thicker, more sporty alcantara steering wheel with a quick steering ratio and a "Track Mode" button. The Track Mode button waters down the ABS and the traction control systems so you have a little room to "play" while you're on the track, but the systems will intervene in case things get really bad. Also, you do not need to order DVD Navigation in order to get Premium Package (or the other way around). You can choose one or the other, or both.

VMM

Thanks for the reply. I met up with my buddy from Boston and he confirmed the info. He has Sirius which works through his HK unit. His dealer in Boston installed it for him. Since I made my initial post I have found that Sirius is actually quite easy to install and configure (my buddy paid the dealer $700!). It seems that people are having trouble using both the ipod and Sirius at the same time. I think having the ipod option is probably more important at this point. I am also discovering that if you install the 6 cd changer that you can't use the ipod at the same time. Very confusing.

As far as the competition package... if you try to build the M3 competition package on the BMW website configurator it requires you to select navigation if you want to order the premium package. My dealer told me that every competition package they had coming had the navigation. We'll see when I actually get to the dealership to order the car. I actually haven't driven a competition package but have loved the feel of the conventional M3. It's probably going to be tough to find a used competition package which you can actually rev up to the redline to get the true feel of the car. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

pylit

VMM,

Nice choice. I'm in a similar situation to you it sounds like. I'm ready to buy a new car and for years I've wanted a 'Vette. (Un)fortunately the 'Vette doesn't have a back seat and my wife is dead-set against me buying a 2-seater so I went on the hunt for a different vehicle.

I've considered Mercedes AMG, Porsche 911, and BMW M5/M3. The only one that seems to make sense to me is the M3 when you look from a bang for the buck mentality. The 911 would be nice but I don't think I could put car seats in those little back seats, and you get crushed when you start throwing options on ($450 for leather edged floor mats? come on!!!). An '03 M5 would be rocking; but, I am in Europe and doubt I'll ever find an American spec '03 that I could bring back with me in a couple years. The new M5 looks damned good too; but, I once again find myself pushing the upper limits of my budget. The German spec M5 runs $74k Euro before tax which is right around $100k dollars. If that is how they price it stateside we can count that one out too.

That brings me to the M3. I really like the look and price performance ratio this thing offers. It has a real back seat that I could throw the kids into and the wife even likes it. I test drove one with the SMG -- with the potential of the wifey driving the car SMG is the only way to go. While driving the car I thought the SMG kind of felt like I was a passenger and somebody else was driving a manual although I've been told that you get better at using it with time. In fact, I was ready to go and buy an '05 loaded to the gills until I found out about the next gen. car. Damn it!!! I cannot see myself spending $55k on a new car and then wishing I had something better just a couple years later. So now I'm here in Europe, the native habitat of the M3 and I'm stuck waiting until the end of my tour to buy one (I've heard anything from late '06 to early '07 for the US-spec M3 to be available). Maybe I'll just replace the wife's Tahoe with a 325xi Wagon in the meantime...

VMM

Hey pylit,

That's a tough call. Those are all great cars (though not perfect for the reasons you stated). I broke down and ordered the '05 M3 competition (interlagos blue/cinn. interior). The delivery date is supposed to be July 11th. It's going to be a long 10 weeks!

I decided not to wait on the '06-'07 M3 for a couple of reasons :

1. Though BMW is not tipping their hand about a release date a lot of folks are saying 2007 (early).

2. It will be SMG only. I really wanted a stick. Why not get the last M3 with a standard manual transmission.

3. i drive... My experience is limited. Some love it while others hate it.

4. Here in California, the dealers where marking up the new M3 up to $15,000 when it first came out. That combined with the fact that most say you should never buy the first year of a new model was enough to alleviate the anxiety about the new model.

Good luck with your search. I have gone through the same anxiety though am at peace with my decision and excited about the new addition to the family.

pylit, If you really like a car that drives well, stay away from Mercedes AMG cars. While AMG cars are pretty hot on the outside and sport the bigger engine, bigger brakes, and sharper suspension, they drive just like a typical Mercedes on the inside. The engine is quiet and smooth, the ride is comfortable and luxurious; there isn't much on the inside indicating you are driving something special. It is not like a typical BMW or Audi where it is just so much fun to throw it into turns and stuff. Of course, I think part of this might be the lack of a manual transmission in all AMG cars; I think at least an F1 gearbox (such as BMW's SMG) would really bring out the 'soul' of the car. Until then, if you really like driving, stick to a BMW, Porsche, or Audi.

VMM, I was never under the impression that you have to order navigation if you want the Competition Package. Even if you configure an M3 Competition on BMW's website, you can choose to have navigation or not.

VMM

MrElussive is right. The AMG cars are big luxury sedans. I know two people who have owned them. One had an S class which he grew tired of (traded in for the recent 911 refresh). Another owns the E500 and absolutely loves it. Big engines with lots of horsepower. Beautiful interiors. I just don't get the 5 speed automatic.

You are also correct regarding ZCP and navigation. You don't need navigation to get ZCP. However, when I tried to configure an M3 with ZCP and ZPP, the web site forces you to add navigation. This was also the case when I placed my order through the dealer. Best I could do was $1800 below MSRP. Oh well. July 11th is right around the corner.