BMW M3 Starts at $54,575

Big Daddy

No surprise: 414 hp will cost you a pretty penny. BMW announced today that the M3 sedan will start at $54,575, while the coupe runs $57,275. Both cars hit dealerships in March. It wasn't immediately clear whether the prices included destination charge — two BMW spokesmen have yet to return our emails — but the prices reflect a premium of around $16,000 over the 300-hp 335i.

The mid-50s price falls close to at least one competitor, the $56,000 Lexus IS-F. The Mercedes C63 AMG and Cadillac CTS-V have not yet been priced. The current Audi RS 4 costs an eye-watering $66,910, but it's based on the outgoing A4. Is 55 large too much for the M? Weigh in below.

From Kicking Tires

My 2005 Interlagos Blue M3 coupe, with competition pkg, premium pkg, navigation, park distance, BMW assist and premium sound was $65,000. I think the C63 will cost more than that. The new M3 will not be cheap, but we also don't want 330,000 M3s on the road!!

in so cal (LA) at least, the new m3 will be everywhere once it comes out- maybe not as common as the normal 3, but enough where you'll see at least a couple each day on your daily commute.

Tom

Staff Team
Good price point, but everyone should be prepared to pay in upwards of $10k over invoice for the first 8 months.

Good price point, but everyone should be prepared to pay in upwards of $10k over invoice for the first 8 months.
You think that much Tom Really, and for so long? When the new M5 debuted, several L.A. dealers we know tried to get $5-10k over sticker, and it worked for the first 2 or so, and then people just started refusing. They then sold it at the "bargain" sticker price...and not too far after it's debut...you could negotiate a little bit. I think only the first batch of M3s will go over sticker. There are at least 5 BMW dealers in a 10 mile radius where I live...there's too much competition.

true. but the problem is that a LOT of ppl will want to buy the M3, as it holds a much bigger market demand than the M5. the greater the demand, the higher the price... and a lot of dealers will try to take advantage.

I'll have to agree with Detrich. You can't really compare the M3 demand to the M5. M3 attracts a wider demographic and even with it's projected high price tag it's still more "affordable" than an 100k M5. I can guarantee they'll be at least 5 in Arcadia within the first 45 days. =) My BMW sales manager buddy says they've had a waiting list since the M3 was announced and people have been calling daily since for it's availability.

I leased my 335i in hopes of purchasing the M3 in a couple of years. Hopefully by then the $10k mark up and waiting list will be finished, if not, a Carrera 4s looks really nice. =)

Or Should I purchase the 335i and modify it? =)

I'll have to agree with Detrich. You can't really compare the M3 demand to the M5. M3 attracts a wider demographic and even with it's projected high price tag it's still more "affordable" than an 100k M5. I can guarantee they'll be at least 5 in Arcadia within the first 45 days. =) My BMW sales manager buddy says they've had a waiting list since the M3 was announced and people have been calling daily since for it's availability.

I leased my 335i in hopes of purchasing the M3 in a couple of years. Hopefully by then the $10k mark up and waiting list will be finished, if not, a Carrera 4s looks really nice. =)

Or Should I purchase the 335i and modify it? =)
While I totally agree that the first batch of coupes (and for sure the cabrio when it debuts) will be over sticker (a little), I really do not believe that there will be a $10,000 markup on a $60k car. That's what Mercedes used to do on $100k AMG models, and what BMW tried on the 6 Series, M6 and M5 when it debuted. We personally know many dealership owners, and they all say that the days of a lot of $ over sticker (especially past the first month or 2 of a hot new model's debut) really does not work anymore. Especially with Ebay, many out of state dealers (which don't have the market that L.A., Miami or Dallas provides) sell hot new models at sticker, or a lot of the times a little below sticker.

Yeah, I totally agree that the M3 has a much wider audience, and purchasing base, but $10k over sticker on a "relativley" affordable model is just not gonna happen (at least not for more than a month or so). Also, a lot of us (me included:) always puts the M3 on a pedestal and worships it, but we can't forget that it is a heavily mass produced model, that really isn't that rare!

Tom

Staff Team
Trust me it does happen and will. When the E46 M3 first came out, some dealers were still charging over MSRP nearly a year into production. IE Shelly BMW, and BMW of Concord. Two of which I would never do business with.

I myself would never buy a BMW over MSRP.

when the e46 3 series first appeared in early summer 1998, i went to new century bmw in alhambra and assael bmw in monrovia for a look. and, they had no reservations whatsoever of putting a big ass sticker on top of the factory sticker that said in big block letters something to the extent: MARKET DEMAND: $10K DEALER MARK-UP

and, that was 10 years ago and for a 323i and not even an m3 of the caliber we are talking about for 2008.

needless to say, i went home and waited several more months until the craze died down before buying mine in august. even as happy a time it was for me to finally be a new bmw owner, it was a root canal trying to bargain down the price much from sticker. that car was simply too hot at the time for dealers to budge.

the 2008 m3 is cream of the crop in its class. and, it has wide-market appeal and demand. so, i can only imagine what craziness will ensue w/ dealer mark-ups. either way, bad news for potential buyers in the short run at least. :(

William330

No surprise: 414 hp will cost you a pretty penny. BMW announced today that the M3 sedan will start at $54,575, while the coupe runs $57,275. ... the prices reflect a premium of around $16,000 over the 300-hp 335i.
Sheesh, that's a lot of coin. I paid $38K + tax for my 330ci.

Wouldn't get a first-year model anyway, though, let other people
work out the initial design issues / kinks.

Also, you'd sooner get me to have root canal without novocaine
than pay full sticker, let alone $10K over.

since the other guys have V8's it might level out the playin field although the purist to each brand will say different, i see the premium lastin for quite awhile as most people will jus have to have the new M as soon as it hits the streets no matter what the extra cost is[screwy].
so unless i can get a crackhead deal on one then id wait but id also like to see how the competition ( Caddy, Benz, Lexus ) will stack up against it cause that also sould have an effect on the price.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
I think that the price falls right about at industry standard right now(MSRP). Cant you negotiate the mark-up down a bit with higher downpayments or just buying it outright? I know if I do decide to get one I will more than likely pay cash or have a very substantial downpayment.