Car Washing

Tom

Staff Team
Car Washing

I use 2 methods that work great!

1- This used to be my favorite method- "The 2 bucket Method"
Using 2 buckets, one for "the suds" and one for "the rinse".
Wet the entire vehicle washing away anything that can be removed with water pressure.
Wash one section at a time, using a Microfiber Wash Mitt, as they are great for cleaning and you use less pressure on the finish, decreasing the chance of adding any marring to the finish since the Microfiber is doing the cleaning and you do not have to "scrub".

After washing each section(always working from the top down and keeping the car wet), rinse the mitt in the rinse bucket, as this will kep your washing solution clean and free from debris. (remember to keep the vehicle wet as you are washing)

When you are finished washing the vehicle, switch to wash mitt #2 (you NEVER want to use the same wash mitt for your tires/wheels as you use on your paint, as brake particles and road grime can and will get embedded and can cause swirls to your finish).

2- This is my favorite method-
Using only one bucket with car wash shampoo, use the same method as above, except when it comes time to rinse the mitt, use the spray jet to "pressure wash" the wash mitt clean. It is faster and less "bending and stooping" :)

Courtesy of Wayne Recla at WaynesTowels

"New, Updated Version of my favorite method of washing the car"

First, you will need an Ortho hose end sprayer. You will find it in your local Wal-Mart in the gardening section. It is the type that is used for bug spraying or for weed & feed spraying and connects to the end of your hose.

I also recommend using "Quick Connects" for your hoses, similar to the connects you use for air hoses. (it makes the "job" much easier). With the quick connects you just "plug "N" play.

1- Fill the sprayer with your favorite car wash.

2- Using your favorite sprayer, hose off the heavy dirt and dust from your car(ALWAYS on a cool surface, in the shade).

3- Connect the Ortho sprayer filled with your car wash to your hose and dial in the amount of wash detergent you want to use (I have mine dialed in at 2oz per gallon).

4 - Spray wash mix onto your car and let sit for a couple of minutes to loosten up the dirt, road film, etc.

5 - Re-connect your sprayer and with a hard stream, you will wash away 80 - 90% of the dirt off the car.

6 - Re-connect the Ortho sprayer, spray down your car again, then soak your MicroFiber wash mitt with the wash solution.

7 - Wash car

8 - Rinse

I have found this method to be the fastest as well as having the least chance of picking up debris that can/will scratch the surface.
Since the majority of debris is washed away from the pre-soak, there is very little chance of causing "wash induced swirls".

This is now my favorite method.
No buckets and makes washing your car VERY Fast.

Great car washing tips. I just want to add that some of you may want to invest in a bottle of Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. You just spray it on a cool dry wheel (aim at the rim and the sidewall of the tire), let it sit for 15 seconds, and then rinse the wheel clean. It's quick, easy, and does a great job of cleaning, only downside is that it's $5 a bottle and the bottle won't last very long.

EDL

New Car Care

first post, so forgive any breach of protocol

have a 2004 530i - it is 2 weeks old (brand new, dealer had it since last august and couldn't move it, so great deal).

Questions:
1. Is there any sort of special protection from the factory that i wouldn't want to strip off? I.E., should I avoid Dawns for now?
2. Can anyone comment on the "Zaino" method - that is, stripping off wax initially, and then never stipping again but just applying more and more layers? How does glazing fit in with this method?
3. Would you avoid an electric buffer on a new car? Encourage it?
4. Any good methods on "masking" plastic parts or otherwise applying wax so it does not get into places it shouldn't?
5. Power washers - I own one (electric) that creates 1600 psi - would this be too much pressure for a car application? Tire application? Can one run soap through the power washer?
6. Intererior: parts of the dash appear to be rubber - what is recommended? For clear plastic parts? Idrive screen? Re leather, seem to be understanding that simple wiping down with moist cloth to keep dirt off is sufficient - anything else?

thanks,
edl

1. There is no protection from the dealer that you can strip off, feel free to clean your car. Also, avoid Dawn for the windows, just use the wax that you apply to your car on your windows as well, that is what I do. Leaves them clean and sparkling!

2. No idea.

3. AVOID electric buffer, ALWAYS hand wax/buff! (IMO)

4. Don't worry about wax getting on plastic parts, it comes off easily. Moreover, there is a great plastic cleaner by Meguiar's (sp.?), it cleans the black plastic like new.

5. I'm not sure about the power washer, however spraying the car too hard can leave blemishes in the paint. Avoid anything that sprays that hard, always use a soft flowing water hose, or try to spray the car at an angle so it is not so directly hitting the car. However, your power washer should be fine for the tires and rims.

6. Armor All (or any other car cleaning brand) leather/interior wipes work great! I use them on the leather and any other part on my interior, including the wood/plastic areas. It keeps the leather and the plastic areas brand new looking.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
EDL said:
first post, so forgive any breach of protocol

have a 2004 530i - it is 2 weeks old (brand new, dealer had it since last august and couldn't move it, so great deal).

Questions:
1. Is there any sort of special protection from the factory that i wouldn't want to strip off? I.E., should I avoid Dawns for now?
2. Can anyone comment on the "Zaino" method - that is, stripping off wax initially, and then never stipping again but just applying more and more layers? How does glazing fit in with this method?
3. Would you avoid an electric buffer on a new car? Encourage it?
4. Any good methods on "masking" plastic parts or otherwise applying wax so it does not get into places it shouldn't?
5. Power washers - I own one (electric) that creates 1600 psi - would this be too much pressure for a car application? Tire application? Can one run soap through the power washer?
6. Intererior: parts of the dash appear to be rubber - what is recommended? For clear plastic parts? Idrive screen? Re leather, seem to be understanding that simple wiping down with moist cloth to keep dirt off is sufficient - anything else?

thanks,
edl
What was sticker and how much did you pay for it? I'd say 6-7k off sticker would be a "great deal".

imee

I really like the 2 bucket method - thankyou !
However, I live in a cold climate 4 months out of the year.
My car is dirty and I don't know what is worse. Leaving it dirty with the odd power spray OR taking it to a SOFT CLOTH CAR WASH.
Has anyone done this. Is it not recommended ???