Convertible Window Replacement

zonenoz

I can no longer see through the back window. Has anyone here replaces the plastic zip in convertible window? If so was it easy were there any pitfalls. Were did you buy the window and how much did it cost? Anyone have theres replaced buy the dealer can you tell me what you paid so I can compair.

Thanks in advanced!

rogelio

I just had mine replaced on my 98 323i. The window cost about $300, and the labor about another $200. I looked at replacing it myself, and decided I would probably screw it up, so spent the money instead. I would lower the top somewhat to see if the window unzips easily, if so, maybe you can do it.

carcus

1000 Post Club
Get some 15 dollar Maguiars plastic window polish and cleaner, blue and white bottle to see if you can salvage your first, mine was trashed and now looks brand new. Try this before you look for a replacement zip in. A guy on Ebay sells replacement ones pretty cheap if you send in your stock one. I imagine he reconditions them.

jnike1414

convertible window

I agree with carcus. Get some Maguiars #17 and #10 window polish and cleaner along with some cotton rags. I just did this last week and the vison improved 50-70% thru the rear window (It was pretty bad). I picked up this stuff in a boat supply shop. It only took me 20 minutes to do the whole window and I saved a lot of money.

Good luck

rogelio

i also agree with carcus. in my case, the window was creased badly, actually pulling apart the seam around the window when the weather would get cold (I live in Colorado). I am using the Meguiars, and it works as well as carcus and the others say.

Mikeski

Convertible top window replacement, do it yourself

I have replaced two plastic convertible top windows, both in 1996 328ic's. It is fairly easy to do with two people a little harder to do by yourself. The replacement windows come well packaged with a nifty little plastic thing that looks like a letter opener that helps the process come together. Directions are also included that do a good job of explaining what to do.

The trickiest part is getting the zipper started... There an overlap, working from the inside start with the pull tab on the inside on the outer track. Once you get it started zip it a couple inches then look at the first couple teeth to make sure they are even on both sides. If they are not unzip and try again. Be patient it took me about 10 tries to get it done correctly on the second one I did. The teeth were a little smashed from the crimped keeper so it was a little difficult to get it going.

After it is even go ahead and zip all the way around but stop just before running it off the track. The key to getting the keeper crimped on is doing it before removing the zipper head. I had to have my wife help me with this part. I also ended up with a few prick holes in my fingers but it was worth it to save $200. The whole process takes less than 2 hours. I am happy to work for $100 plus save the aggrivation of a dealer experience.
Mikeski