Do I have to use Dawn?

Although I haven't used the Zymol HD Cleanse, Dawn does an incredible job. It would probably work better than any other dish detergent.

Plus I'll bet Dawn is cheaper than the Zymol HD.

I ordered some HD Cleanse (milk chocolate looking stuff) with my last order. I always hear good things about the results but also understand to plan on a little extra time when I use it. I understand the results are fantastic and worth the time. I am not sure that Dawn would even compare to HD Cleanse, I think HD is a serious, deep cleaning product.

Last edited:
The answer is yes, other dish soaps dont have some chemical that does the job as well. As for the HD Cleanse it does the same job for twice the price, to my understanding Dawn works just about as well and can be bought at the supermarket.

Big Daddy

While I will agree that Dawn will strip wax, I do not think it is fair to say that "it does the same job" as HD-Cleanse. Consider that "HD-Cleanse™ removes light oxidization, moderate scratches, accumulated road film, tar and acid rain deposits, renewing your original paint lustre." And that HD-Cleanse "Contains Montan Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Lemon Seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil), Cocoamide, Citric Acid (from rose hips), Kapolite." After using HD-Cleanse your finish feels smooth and free of defects. Wax goes on easier too. Other than that you are most likely right on!

Big Daddy

You are right, it seems so, but I can tell you that after using the HD-Cleanse my paint has felt so smooth I wasn't sure it needed waxing. Then after putting on the wax, Wow! Check the photos of my Seven and M roadster in the gallery, that is the treatment they get. I am sure though that others may get just as good results, I know Vlad is the all time pro at car cleaning and care and he uses the Dawn method.

Big Daddy said:
I used HD-Cleanse twice a year.
If you use it twice a year does that mean you wax twice a year, because that roadster looks great. I cant believe you can get that kind of shine from waxing twice a year. As for me, I use Zaino wich gives you that shine and more but it is something you put on much more thain that. Zaino is great with multiple coats, the shine gets better with more and more coats. I try to put on 3 coats a month and the shine from that is blinding.

The very first time I got the Zaino is when I used the Dawn, since you keep adding to the wax, you never strip have to strip it again. I supose if you did it before each wax, the HD-Cleanse would make sence to use because you want to get the most out of that wax vs with Zaino, its been 2 years since Ive stripped the wax so anything the HD-Cleanse would have done then would have gone away by the time I put more wax on.