Driveability problem - any advice?

dhaus

I recently purchased a '95 325i convertible (automatic). The car has about 70K miles on it. Two weeks ago I took a long (Illinois to California & back) road trip and noticed an odd behavior with the car. At highway speed, say 60 mph, if I try to accelerate slowly, the tach shows an immediate rpm drop of about 300. When I lift my foot from the throttle, the rpms go back up. Climbing a grade at anywhere from 55 to 65 mph will result in the rpm moving back and forth over a 3 - 4 hundred rpm range. This problem does not seem to occur at higher speeds or lower speeds. I tried it with the A/C on and off and with the ASC on and off with no change in the symptoms. I started buying the highest octane gas I could find but that didn't help either. If anyone can shed some light on this problem, I would surely appreciate it.

I noticed this a few weeks ago and thought I was going nuts, my '94 325i Conv. w/auto starting doing the same thing in the 50-60 mph range. I've got 94K on it. Sorry I'm of no help but if I try something and get positive, negative or no results I'll post it.