E28 M30->M62 Conversion

Andjeti

Hey guys,
I got an '86 528i (I'm in Australia), and I am looking at swapping the I6 M30 for a V8 M62, the main problem I have is that somebody once told me that you can make more reliable horsepower from the I6 than you can from the V8.

I thought this was BS, but they claimed it was because of the alloy block on the M62 not being able to handle the amount of power that I am looking at. I am currently sourcing a 99 740i/iL front cut (this engine I believe has VANOS, earlier ones did not), and I can get one with the 5 speed steptronic for approx $6K AU. I also want to add a Sprintex Whipple 2300 Supercharger.

Either way I will have a supercharged E28 when I am finished, I just need some help deciding what engine to actually put into it. This car is my Pride and Joy as it was the first car I ever bought, and I have had it for about 6 years. I am going to be doing a full ground-up rebuild (strip everything and start again), and the reason I want so much power out of it is because I am sick of all the little ricey boys here on the goldcoast in their supra's and skylines, thinking they own the road.

Thanks for any help you can give
Jay

*also chasing a skirt kit for this model car, I do not have the HUGE US bumpers though any help would be appreciated*

Last edited:
One possible issue you may have to deal with is the space... while the 4.4l may fit into the enginecompartment... does it fit around the Rack and Pinion steering mech?

That is one of the reasons that the E39 v8's have reticulating ball... cannot get around the Rack and Pinion..