E30 autocross car

I'm going to begin autocross racing in 2005, and I want to do it in a BMW. Since I'm 18 and can't afford an E36 to beat around, I'm looking to purchase an E30. The only problem is I'm not sure what one I want. Do I want a high reving high HP 325is or should I get a low reving but torky 325es. Could anyone also tell me what stock SCCA class these cars would be in?

epj3

f1racer77 said:
I'm going to begin autocross racing in 2005, and I want to do it in a BMW. Since I'm 18 and can't afford an E36 to beat around, I'm looking to purchase an E30. The only problem is I'm not sure what one I want. Do I want a high reving high HP 325is or should I get a low reving but torky 325es. Could anyone also tell me what stock SCCA class these cars would be in?
Go for the 325is. The ETA motor (the 2.7 liter in the 325e) has 170 lb-ft torque, versus the 164 lb-ft torque in the 2.5 liter "I" motors. Not a big difference, and you sacrifice 27 hp with the ETA motor.

For autocross, the E30 is your best bet anyways. In order to do suspension upgrades to an E36, you have to buy and have reinforcement plates installed in the rear subframe (could be costly since the entire subframe and gas tank must be removed), and then reinforcement plates installed in the front strut towers. The rear subframe has a tendency to pull away from the body in the E36.

E30? None of those problems. Only reinforcement you NEED in the e30, is if you install a stiffer sway bar, but nothing must be removed - it's an easy weld job. E30's are much sturdier than E36's, and because of the size, it will do better in autox than an equally modified E36. Just make sure you have nice tires [:D]

If you can manage it, get a '91 325i 2dr with the sport package (they didn't offer the iS in '91, go figure). You'll have a LSD to your advantage right off the bat, as well as a pretty competative car. A close second would be the slightly older 325iS, as mentioned.

The class that you would be in is D Stock (DS). The other cars you would be racing against:
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/stockc.html

This class is pretty competative on the national level and has a decent variety of cars in class that would be competative. Nationally, though, the new 330Ci and the Integra Type R rule the class. Locally, you'll mostly find WRX's in class. A well-tuned E30 325i would certainly give the WRX's a run for their money. I'll be running DS in Pittsburgh with my E36 next year.

Just be careful about anything that you might do to the prospective car, as changes that you make will put you in a different class. I would recommend racing the car in stock class if you wish to be competative. Also, it saves money, and is just as fun, I'm sure.

A thread you may be interested in, although it pertains to e36:
http://www.sccaforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/18/851