e36 m3 or e46 323i

hky001

I'm trying to decide between a 95 m3 or a 99 323i. Any recomendations? I know that the m3 will obviously have more power, but I like the look of the e46 more. How much of a difference in power will there really be and what should I do?????
Thanks

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
thing about the differance between USS Nimitz and Miss Budwiser the Hydro Plane!!! really the M3 is so much better. not just the performance but in spec levels remember (in english prices) the M3 is £40,000 new and the 323 £25,000 roughly. that extra £15,000 is not just the engine. how many miles do both of them have if the M3 has less than 50 or 60k then definatly

Drive them both.

I can't recommend one to you without knowing more about what you want in a car. I say want, because if all you care about is basic transportation, neither car is appropriate.

If it was me, I would buy the M3, but you're not me. [;)]

well there going to be a BIG difference in the power department. I'm currently torn in the same arguement (kinda) with me trying to choose between a FI E36 M3 and a NA E46 M3. If I were you this wouldn't be a contest. I'd get the M3. You WILL NOTICE the performance difference in the car, plain and simple. I'm all about the driving capabilities more than the look. But if you think the new style is going to be something better for you, get the new 323.

hmm...

If it was me, I'd pick the m3. But, I dont know the condition of the cars you're looking at, the price, where you're going to be driving it, or anything. The m3 is way way faster. Realistically youre looking at about 1.5 seconds quicker with the m3 on 0-60. But do you need it if youre just going to be driving to work then taking the kids to the park? Well yeah, I'd still want it. Personally I think the less overall round shape of the e36 add a lot to its aggressive stance and appeal. But then again the e46 325i has its perks as well. Its not like its a bad car in the slightest its just geared towards a different audience than an //M car. I think that enjoying your cars aesthetic appeal is overall more important than speed, so if you like how the 323i looks, I'd get that. But since youre spending the money its ultimately up to you. [bmwkick]

I like e36 more than e46 but that's me. I would go for the M. Also, you are not going to be looking at the exterior of the car while driving so it's not that important, I wouldn't get an ugly car but it's not always the most important thing. Just think what you will use it for, and think how you use the car you drive now, if you like to floor it go for the M, if you like to be fluid go for the 323.

Get the M!! Think about this:

When you're drivng a E36 M3, ppl on the street will pay some attention and respect -- "It's a M3!!" You get the spirit of M.

When you're drivng a E46 323i (Even 330ci), ppl on the street paid no attention or respect -- "Well.. it's just another regular 3 series, just like other 20 I've seen in the last 30 minutes", nobody cares if it's 323, 328, 328 or 330. Especially when there is not too many mods you can do to this sedan. You get the newer E46 design but nothing more than ordinary.

Last edited:

M3Aidan

Oh yeah!!

achen said:
Get the M!! Think about this:

When you're drivng a E36 M3, ppl on the street will pay some attention and respect -- "It's a M3!!" You get the spirit of M.

When you're drivng a E46 323i (Even 330ci), ppl on the street paid no attention or respect -- "Well.. it's just another regular 3 series, just like other 20 I've seen in the last 30 minutes", nobody cars if it's 323, 328, 328 or 330. Especially when there is not too many mods you can do to this sedan. You get the newer E46 design but nothing more than ordinary.
I would most definitely have to agree with you on that one!! [thumb] Not only do they see me coming, the exhaust note that exudes from my E36 M3 is all but mesmerizing. I can see ppl ahead of me "rubber-necking" just to see what the hell's coming past. Then you get the infamous stare; one like you're a super model strutting down a runway. I love that sh!t [hihi]

Buy the M3... you will not regret the decision!

M3Aidan

E36M3 said:
what kind of edhaust do you have on your m3?
I currently run a Borla. I took off a AA Gen III about 3 weeks ago and sold it for this one. Performance wise, no difference... but the sound is incredible. Almost Ferrari like... almost!! But I think it's the combo of the ECIS CAI and the exhaust that do the trick. And I'm really surprised more E36 owners do not run the Borla's..... not just for pick-ups & muscle cars anymore [headbang]

Last edited: