e36 M3 value

afrobot

it's all relative, if that's THE Car you want then yes. I have a 95 m3 and I don't think I could get 10k for it.
just be sure you get a new (metal) waterpump
yellow on black is the way to go imho.
good luck

E36M3 said:
what makes you say that you cant get 10k for it afrobot? ive seen 95's for sale on autotrader for 17-23k
I thought that was pretty low as well, so I am guessing salvage title, high mileage, or mechanical/cosmetic problems.

If not, I'll seriously consider buying it for $10k. [;)]

Just got word that my bid on M3 won. it is now mine for the taking. Took a look at it and it is perfect. What a smoooooooooooking deal at 11000 bucks. ill post pics soon. Anyone intrested in 74 2002 by chance? Need more garage space.

Lillywhites said:
Just got word that my bid on M3 won. it is now mine for the taking. Took a look at it and it is perfect. What a smoooooooooooking deal at 11000 bucks. ill post pics soon. Anyone intrested in 74 2002 by chance? Need more garage space.
Congratulations. I hope everything works out with the M3.

Lillywhites said:
About to purchase a 95 M3 with 70k on it. Yellow with black interior. 5spd and in great shape. Does $13,000 seem like a bargain.

According to Blue book, the trade in value at the dealer is $11,130 and the price you can expect to get from a non-dealer (individual person selling it is $13,225.

So, you are paying an appropriate price that you may want to negotiate more. BUT, 1995 was the first year the E36 M3 was made so, naturally there will be more problems with it than a 1998 or 1999 that have had the kinks and known problems worked out. It could be a headache with stupid things breaking, the first year of any production model could be a problem, but if I were you and had $13k to drop I would definitelly get the M, they are worth it. Look around for a good mechanic before getting it. Call around to different shops and ask what tune up would be, how much a brake job is, etc. Compare prices. You DO NOT want to be taking it to a dealer, they will rip you off. I have BMW certified mechanic who charges me half what the dealer did. Plus a shop that really loves BMWs will do a much better job than a dealer who could give a crap about you. The dealer will tell you that the warranty will be void, anyone else will screw it up but that is all bull. I have a yellow 1998 myself and it is the sweetest ride ever. Get as dark a tint as you can too, it looks great with the yellow.

Re: Re: e36 M3 value

jcsmfever said:
According to Blue book, the trade in value at the dealer is $11,130 and the price you can expect to get from a non-dealer (individual person selling it is $13,225.

So, you are paying an appropriate price that you may want to negotiate more. BUT, 1995 was the first year the E36 M3 was made so, naturally there will be more problems with it than a 1998 or 1999 that have had the kinks and known problems worked out. It could be a headache with stupid things breaking, the first year of any production model could be a problem, but if I were you and had $13k to drop I would definitelly get the M, they are worth it. Look around for a good mechanic before getting it. Call around to different shops and ask what tune up would be, how much a brake job is, etc. Compare prices. You DO NOT want to be taking it to a dealer, they will rip you off. I have BMW certified mechanic who charges me half what the dealer did. Plus a shop that really loves BMWs will do a much better job than a dealer who could give a crap about you. The dealer will tell you that the warranty will be void, anyone else will screw it up but that is all bull. I have a yellow 1998 myself and it is the sweetest ride ever. Get as dark a tint as you can too, it looks great with the yellow.
This is one of two threads Lillywhites posted on this issue. The other is here:

http://www.bmwboard.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1852

I don't think Kbb gives an accurate value of an E36 M3. They apply a standard depreciation formula that doesn't reflect the actual market for cars that command a premium, which I believe the E36 M3 qualifies as. Most 1995 5spds with 60-80k are changing hands for $14-16k, or more.

I also don't believe that your logic regarding problems with the first year of production applies to a 1995 M3. Certainly, being 3-4 years older than a 1998 or 1999 will result in some problems, but I would expect the cars to have similar reliability at a given age.

Most components on the 1995 M3 had been in production since the 1992 model year in the US, or 1991 model year in Europe. The engine is essentially just a larger 325i M50, and the european M3 (with a different engine) had been in production since 92 or 93. Most of the kinks were worked out before the 95 came out.

Other than a different gearbox, slightly larger engine with more emision restriction, side airbags, metal water pump impeller, and other minor changes, the 1995 and 1998 are very similar machines.

darkfluid

I say 13 to 15 is a pretty common price, with many going for 15, but it seems strange to me, I say go for the 98, most people I know have purchased those for around 17.

Kinda a strange decision to make, since the 98 is only about 2k more on average (again judging from the 12 or so I've seen sold in the last month or two).

Already bought the M3 and was bought at 11k from a bank. I was not looking for an m3 but this was a deal no one could pass up. Mech checked car out and said it was in excellent shape for having 70k miles on it. (A women was the previous owner and did all driving on Freeway). Most of the m3s selling for 13-15 a pretty much hammered. It is rare to find one that hasnt been beat to crap in that price range. And yes a 98 would be better but so would a 2004.

scl18303

congratulations, an M3 w/ 70k for 11 grand would be a great purchase IMO. Low miles for the year, and if you know a good mechanic, you have a excellent performing car for the price of a new KIA.