E46 M3 Short Shifter

I remember there being a thread about short shifters for the E46 M3. Does anyone have that link? I was jealous of the new S4's short shifter, and really need to do something about the long one in the M3.

Thanks.. Did you install that kit in your car Tom? I checked their site and didn't see any reviews for an E46 M3 kit. But I'm sure the website is biased towards their own product.

Tom

Staff Team
I haven't since I'm currently saving for my exhaust, but some time next year I will look into a SS kit.

Have you done any mods to your M3 yet?

No Mods yet. I do want to get the windows tinted at some point, get a Valentine One Radar, and get that short shifter. After that I'll start working on performance mods. But I want to be careful, don't want to ruin the warrenty on anything. One of my Xenon lights just blew out last night. Service guy told me over the phone that its probably the assembly and not the bulb. I'll find out in a bit when I take a ride down there.

I know Dinan doesn't ruin the warrenty, but their mods are pretty expensive for the extremely mild boost in HP you get. So we'll see as time goes on..

I thought the feel was to stiff and engagement into gears was more difficult. It could of just been me, but I did not like it. I replaced my B&B triflo exhaust with a supersprint because I thought the B&B was too loud. I have heard other people say they like the sound of the B&B. So obviously many of these mods are up to your personal tastes.

I spoke to the service manager about the SS. He said it would void my shifter warranty and possibly the tranny if I had problems. He said that BMW was "supposed" be coming out with a SS mod that would be covered, but who knows..... I would like a better exhaust note but again, the Dinan is pricy for what you get. I just do not want to take th echance on any warranty issues.

I hear that on the warrenty. Too bad it's not the simplest swap. If you had an issue with the car, just put the stock shifter back in the car and bring it in. No one the wiser... :)

Does Dinan make a short shifter? I would assume that would be covered under warrenty..

Guys, remember this rule about the warrranty:
Anything you do to your car only voids the warranty if that part that you modified caused the problem. For example, if you have an aftermarket exhaust system on your car and your the motor for your power seat stops working, the motor will be fixed or replaced for free under warranty, because your exhaust system has nothing to do with it and does not void your warranty. When I had my Jetta, I modded it a lot and after a while, the overhead light console just stopped working properly. My local VW dealership replaced the light console completely free of charge under warranty, and they saw all the mods I had done to my car (17" wheels, exhaust system, air intake, etc.).

Yea I understand that, but say I put an aftermarket exhaust on my car, and the engine fails in some shape or form. The dealer could say the decrease in backpressure or something caused the engine to run improperly and made the engine fail, thus not covered under warrenty. That would suck...

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
j2azz said:
Yea I understand that, but say I put an aftermarket exhaust on my car, and the engine fails in some shape or form. The dealer could say the decrease in backpressure or something caused the engine to run improperly and made the engine fail, thus not covered under warrenty. That would suck...
True but they would have to prove that is what caused the problem. or you would have to prove it didn't over here alpina is sold and fitted by BMW main dealers so the part has alpinas waranty the fitting is covered by BMW so if the back pressure on a BMW fitted Alpina ss exhaust causes any part of the engine to fail then that is due to poor fitting so the dealer picks up the tab if it turns out to be the exhaust then alpina does and (just for the southerners amoung you[:D] ) if neither was at fault and it was a manufacturing defect then BMW themselves would fix it. either way as long as the part you buy has some sort of warranty and you get it fitted by BMW or any other large dealer network that has big financial backing you'll be fine.