E63 New engine

I wonder if the car will be a sales success in the 6 cylinder version?

It is a big, and heavy car, and seems well suited to the powerful V8. Lots of interest is being expressed in the V10 M version. While I would love the performance of 500-550 hp, the 325 in the car is quite adequate for street driving.

Seems to me it would be seriously underpowered with the 6 cylinder engine, even if BMW makes the best sixes in the business.

Grey Coupe said:
I wonder if the car will be a sales success in the 6 cylinder version?

It is a big, and heavy car, and seems well suited to the powerful V8. Lots of interest is being expressed in the V10 M version. While I would love the performance of 500-550 hp, the 325 in the car is quite adequate for street driving.

Seems to me it would be seriously underpowered with the 6 cylinder engine, even if BMW makes the best sixes in the business.
I would normally agree, but BMW has shown us time and time again that their I6 engines shouldn't be limited to lighter cars (such as the 3-series and Z4). People cried when they heard BMW was releasing the heavy X5 with the 3.0 liter engine, but that is now the best-selling X5 to date. Also, the X3 (which weighs 200lbs more than the 6-series) is only available with BMW's two 6-cylinder engines.
I think BMW could successfully use the 3.0L I6 engine on the 6-series Coupe. The lighter weight of the smaller engine will also help it out and should deliver a 0-60 time of 7.0 - 7.5 seconds, depending on automatic or manual transmission. This is a significant difference in performance compared to the V8, but it's still great for most people. The only thing is that the 6-series is such an expensive vehicle (and not as practical as a sedan or SUV) , that most people would prefer and opt for the V8 version anyways. I think what I'm trying to say is that the 3.0 liter 6-cylinder engine (not the 2.5) would do just fine in the 6-series, but I don't think BMW would actually execute the idea.

As I understand it, plans are go for the new 3.0 liter six in the 6 series body. Price delta is said to be more than $10K. Your point about the company's success with the six cylinder engine in larger heavier bodies is a good one. I was 'way suprised with the X5 3.0.

It'll spend a lot of time wound up in high rpms just to put out the torque the heavy body has, but at that savings, and in countries that tax by engine displacement, it will make a big difference in total price paid.

Yeah...the engine will definitely have to work harder but I think BMW will make it work pretty well. Personally, I would never get a 6-series without at least the 325hp V8 under the hood. The 6-series looks too sporty to be any fun without it but I bet people will buy a 630Ci model anyways.