E90 NY Auto Show Sneak Preview Pics

Pretty much hate the car, but really love that Artic Metallic colour. Silver and light blue mixed is my all time favourite colour. Not necessairly hot, but really beautiful.

That pic in the posting about the photochopped M3 looks pretty good. Still not better than the E46, but not a bad concept.

Thanks for the pics jwocky!

What do you think of the space? Do you think it is much bigger in terms of usable space, trunk and so on?

EDIT: Oops....I guess they are preview pics. I was taken in by the pics and the rest did not register in my brain. [8)]

deutsch100,

Love your blue M3. I have a '04 330cic in Mystic Blue (different color, I know), and I was wondering what kind of wax/polish you're using on your car? It looks fantastic!

Thanks,

Dawn

Nice...one of those will be in my garage by Christmas!

The wife always wanted to look out the window at christmas and see a BIG RED bow on a BMW in the driveway. So after 20years I guess I can do that for her:)

DigitalDawn said:
deutsch100,

Love your blue M3. I have a '04 330cic in Mystic Blue (different color, I know), and I was wondering what kind of wax/polish you're using on your car? It looks fantastic!

Thanks,

Dawn
Hey Dawn,

I use all Meguiars products. After I picked up my M, it really needed a detail after the 400 mile trip home (you cannot believe the splattered bugs). I used Meguiars NXT Generation Wax. It is amazingly easy to apply and remove, smells great (which is a plus for wax) and the shine and protection is unbeatable IMO.

Love Mystic Blue too. I think Interlagos Blue is like Mystic and Topaz Blue on Steroids [;)]

deutsch100 said:
Hey Dawn,

I use all Meguiars products. After I picked up my M, it really needed a detail after the 400 mile trip home (you cannot believe the splattered bugs). I used Meguiars NXT Generation Wax. It is amazingly easy to apply and remove, smells great (which is a plus for wax) and the shine and protection is unbeatable IMO.

Love Mystic Blue too. I think Interlagos Blue is like Mystic and Topaz Blue on Steroids [;)]
D,

How many coats of wax did you use to get your car to look that good?? How often do you wax it?

When I bought my car from the dealer in July it had faint swirl marks -- still does, not too bad though. Is there a product you can recommend for that?

I have the Klasse products and they seem to do a decent job, but my car doesn't look anywhere as good as yours.

Thanks,

Dawn

Good Morning Dawn,

That is just 1 coat of Meguiar's NXT Generation Wax. You apply it to a clean (cool is best) car, wait 15-20, then wipe off. It is a polymer, adhering "wax". I have used it since it came out, I think about a year now. It helps hide swirl marks, and the shine and protection is the best I have had. I have used Klasse products 2x, and think they are good, but totally overpriced.

I apply the NXT wax usually every 3-4 months. In between, I use Meguiar's Quik Detailer and Quik Spray Wax. I also am parked in the garage most of the time, which does help.

P.S.

For washing I do use the Zymöl Blue coloured wash gel. Meguiars Car wash is great....but the Zymol smells like bananas....and I like that [:D]

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
I went to the NY auto show yesterday. What a mob scene! I was hoping to snap some pics to add here, but all I have are backs of poeple's heads walking by. LOL.

Anyway...I saw the new 3. I was suprised to see that the 325 had completely different headlight assemblies than the 330. You can see them here in these pics, but they aren't as striking as in person. Looks like the 300 gets halos, the 325 does not. And the halo's float out in front of the head lights, which you can't really see from the head-on pics here. It's different. More ornamental looking...jewelry-like.

The interiors look hard and cheap. The wacky creases and lines coming off the front seem less obnoxious in person than in the pics. In sum, I'm warming up to the new 3...but not sure I'm going to buy a first month release model like I did the E46.

Yep,

sat in a new 320d yesterday and it looks a bit hard and cheep indeed on in the inside. The dealer asked my opinion about the car and I told him politely that I was going to keep my E46 for a long time.....car's tail sucks also!

But I might change my mind over time, like I did with the 5 series.

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
Oh, the front looks far better with the front license plate in place. It breaks up those swoops...but if you live in a state without a front plate, then I'm afraid that empty space looks like a canyon dug into the front bumper.

Okay...all thumps go up for the new windshield wipers. Way cool...no metal springs across the back of the blade...they've gone with those ones you see in some aftermarket ads. I was always skeptical of them, but maybe they are a performance upgrade. They far less bulky...just a strip with rubber on it...when you lift them up (they didn't throw me out of the auto show) they warp by themselves to hug the glass. Pretty neat.

William330

Good lord look at those nasty seams (above the grill, and
also to the sides of the headlights) in the second pic.

I can't believe this car made it into production...

Chris Bangle may be an awful car designer, but his bosses actually
allowed this car to make it into production...

Something is seriously wrong at BMW.

aNoodle said:
Oh, the front looks far better with the front license plate in place. It breaks up those swoops...but if you live in a state without a front plate, then I'm afraid that empty space looks like a canyon dug into the front bumper.

Okay...all thumps go up for the new windshield wipers. Way cool...no metal springs across the back of the blade...they've gone with those ones you see in some aftermarket ads. I was always skeptical of them, but maybe they are a performance upgrade. They far less bulky...just a strip with rubber on it...when you lift them up (they didn't throw me out of the auto show) they warp by themselves to hug the glass. Pretty neat.
Those are the same wipers that Mercedes has used since the 2001 S Class, and Volkswagen and Audi use them too. They are HORRIBLE, and they work awful. They have no metal structure/ridigity and skip and jerk all over the window in anything but pouring down rain...the noise will drive you absolutely mad. The only reason manufacturers are using them is they are light and cheap. BUT not cheap for us consumers. The old Benz Eccentric -Sweep uni-wiper refill blade was about $12.00. The new wipers that you think are "way cool"...are about $100.00 and NO auto part stores stock them. Another cost cutting, cheapo part. Sorry for the rant...but I HATE those wipers.

aNoodle

1000 Post Club
deutsch100 said:
Those are the same wipers that Mercedes has used since the 2001 S Class, and Volkswagen and Audi use them too. They are HORRIBLE, and they work awful. They have no metal structure/ridigity and skip and jerk all over the window in anything but pouring down rain...the noise will drive you absolutely mad. The only reason manufacturers are using them is they are light and cheap. BUT not cheap for us consumers. The old Benz Eccentric -Sweep uni-wiper refill blade was about $12.00. The new wipers that you think are "way cool"...are about $100.00 and NO auto part stores stock them. Another cost cutting, cheapo part. Sorry for the rant...but I HATE those wipers.
Really!?! Well that sux. I was trying to be positive!!

aNoodle said:
Really!?! Well that sux. I was trying to be positive!!
REALLY!! Go look at your wipers, and feel how solid they are. The blade on our E46s have a metal structure arm. This gives it incredible strength and rigidity. Besides from the Uni-wiper of most Benzes up until the early 2000s, BMW wipers are (were) the best.

Wonder why people bitch about the wipers on the new X3?? Cheap and flimsy...and the X3 at least has some structure support.

The new E90 wipers are just a piece of rubber sitting on the glass with no metal arm or support. When it is raining, but not really hard, there is not enough structural support/pressure for the rubber blade. It skips and jerks so bad, and the noise in the car is really enough to have an accident. I noticed yesterday the the Porsche Cayenne has them too.

Japanese cars copy most things German....but NOT 1 new Japanese car is using these new blades. They suck. Cost cutting in German Autos is becoming ridiculous. These are the things that confirms I made the BEST decision in getting a 2005 E46!!!!

Someone take my Soap Box away. I just cannot stand idiotic ways to save a buck...especially on a Benchmark car. Please, please do not F--k the 3 Series [?|]

Hey have any of you boys noticed that there's an E30 in the background of that 1st E90 3er pic? I think what made me notice it was the fact that the E90 was so terrible that I just had to look away! That E90 325i looks positively disgusting and there is no doubt that it follows the lead of the current 7 and 5 for looking so dispicably cheap and nasty.

I've said it before and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: BMW are cynically taking advantage of their name by offering up complete s--t to the loyal supporters that made their company so successful in the first place. How the current BMW designs ever got past the board in Munich is something that I'll never comprehend. Once more I agree with Deutsch (do we EVER f---in' disagree!!??[hihi]) with regard to the new BMWs as being so utterly plasticky. Not to mention their seemingly unending reliability issues, the debacle that is I-Drive, the positively shithouse styling...the list is truly endless.

And don't even get me started on this bullshit SMG stuff with the new M5 and M6. And single-piston brake calipers on the M3 CSL? What sort of a sick joke are they playing at?

Chesty Bonds said:
Hey have any of you boys noticed that there's an E30 in the background of that 1st E90 3er pic? I think what made me notice it was the fact that the E90 was so terrible that I just had to look away! That E90 325i looks positively disgusting and there is no doubt that it follows the lead of the current 7 and 5 for looking so dispicably cheap and nasty.

I've said it before and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: BMW are cynically taking advantage of their name by offering up complete s--t to the loyal supporters that made their company so successful in the first place. How the current BMW designs ever got past the board in Munich is something that I'll never comprehend. Once more I agree with Deutsch (do we EVER f---in' disagree!!??[hihi]) with regard to the new BMWs as being so utterly plasticky. Not to mention their seemingly unending reliability issues, the debacle that is I-Drive, the positively shithouse styling...the list is truly endless.

And don't even get me started on this bullshit SMG stuff with the new M5 and M6. And single-piston brake calipers on the M3 CSL? What sort of a sick joke are they playing at?

AMEN Chesty. BMW should hire us...cause it seems we know our shit when it comes to quality, design, heritage and pleasing BMW drivers [cheers] That is funny that you mentioned the E30 in the background. I too noticed it almost right away, as my eyes were burning so bad from looking at the new shit 3er, I had to look away. It think it is funny, but ultimately sad, that I found myself looking at pictures from a 2005/2006 Auto Show, and I was longing for the 20 year old car in the picture's background.

Any board members who know, or can access BMW sales records for the first 6-9 months when the E46 was launched worldwide.....Let's compare that with the first 6-9 months sales numbers for the E90. It will be interesting if sales will be slower on the E90, or as Chesty perfectly put it " BMW are cynically taking advantage of their name by offering up complete s--t to the loyal supporters that made their company so successful in the first place"