Exterior Detail; What I use

Detailing Guide

This is merely a guide of what I have used and would recommend to clean and protect your car's exterior.

You will need Adobe's free Acrobat Reader to open this guide.

There are several products available that I haven't tried, therefore I can't in honesty recommend them. If you have any questions that aren't covered in this guide, post them in this forum and I will try my best to get them answered.

Vlad, just wanted to thank you for re-posting your detailing guide. That's a fantastic resource. Even though I never have the time to do the full exterior detailing, it's still really helpful to have your product recommendations for my weekly wash. Can't wait for the interior detailing guide!

Thanks again.

that was pretty helpful, altho the prospects of spending hours cleaning and purchasing all the supplies seem daunting, i'll slowly start collecting the supplies in time for next spring..

and i thought waxing showed dedication for your car.. that's just a fraction of all the work ahead of me.. [bash]

Ever tried Zano (sp?) I used to have a black on black cobra that I zanoed regularly - looked gorgeous. Now that I have a darker colored BMW, I'm thinking of trying the Zano again in about a month to give the paint job time to cure. Anyone tried it?

I haven't tried Zaino, but have been carefully considering it (I'm almost out of Zymol, and it only lasts about 3 weeks). According to Zaino's website, you don't need to let the paint cure.

dumayou said:
Vlad, Just want to show my appreciation for job well done with the PDF. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! can I use the step on a month old car????
You're welcome! Detailing has been a passion of mine for a while now. Just thought I would attempt to share what I've learned.

If your car was factory painted, it should not need to be "cured". The paint from the factory has be applied in a different way from having your car re-painted.

If you have a fresh re-painted auto, I would recommend letting a month or two pass before attempting any wax or other protectant. This would include not using a car cover for that period of time.

wileycoyote said:
Excellent document on detailing. Do you have instructions for properly removing roundels?
Removing the Roundels without damaging the surrounding paint can be tricky. In the PDF I suggested the KTC body tools. These are designed to pull almost anything without damaging the surrounding areas. To remove a Roundel, I use the tool labeled as "AP201-N" and start at the bottom of the badge. If your badge has never been removed, it can be quite stubborn. As you press in the plastic tool and pry up, you may need to insert another piece of plastic type of material to keep that badge from reseating while you get a better "grip" with the plastic pry bar. Once a gap is achieved between the badge and the paint, work your way around the badge, lifting a little bit as you move the tool. Eventually, you can get a grip with your fingers and remove the badge. If you can't obtain the KTC tools, please use another tool that is plastic and has a smooth finish to it.

You can use a small flat screwdriver with a towel under it to keep it away from the paint, but I recommend against it. The screwdriver will slip, (I almost guarantee it), and in the best case scenario scratch the side of the Roundel. Worst case is that it scratches your paint.

lol, taking it off takes to much time. chrome or any roundels can be buffed, you can even shove the buffer into it, just hope that it wont rip up your pad. after that, get a detailing toothbrush. there are lots of sizes, and most will work just fine. yes the best option is to take it off, but it really isnt worth it in most cases, and you cant tell the difference either way you choose.

vlad, did you ever try the Auto Dry carwash? From my experience it is very good. Not only the idea of not hand drying the car but it takes of a lot more dirt than the regular soap (maybe I was just using crappy soap before). The sponge I use for the car, looked as dirty after washing only the car with autodry as it did after washing the car AND the rims with regular soap. The car is 95 with original rims and they shined like new after auto dry. The only minus I see in it is when you have no time to wait for the filtered water to dry on the car but then again, when I used the bucket of soapy water and a hose to wash the car, it took me way more than an hour to totally wash the car and dry it with California Water Blade and with autodry it took me a litlle over 40 minutes to wash two cars. I really recommend the product to everyone and when you buy the refils at your local store one wash turns out to be a little over $1, I think it's a great deal. Hate to sound like a commercial but it really does work.

I followed Vlad's advice and spent a chunk of money lately on products to maintain my black 330xi. I placed 3 orders, one with CMA, one with Auto Supermart and one with Coastal Tools. I ended up ordering the Porter Cable 7424 (came with hook and loop pad and 6in weight). I ordered the Velcro pad, grey polisher pads, white pads, Eimann Fabrik quick detail spray, Menzerna Finishing Touch glaze, 2 Big Blue microfiber towels, Viper buffing and glass towels, and cockpit cloth from CMA. My next order will include the BLACKFIRE clay bar kit and Black Again Exterior Trim Restorer. In my third order, placed with Auto Supermart I ordered the P21S kit, California duster, and Sprayway glass cleaner.

I washed and waxed my car last night, and since I have only had it a week I figured I didn't need to polish, glaze and then wax (this time.) I am VERY happy with the P21S Shampoo (smells delicious), the P21S wheel cleaner and the caranuba wax both were awesome as well. I have to admit though, I had the damndest time with the wax - but its all due to user error. The freakin wax dropped out of the jar and into the dirt of my garage floor. What a pain it was to fumble with the butter-like wax to get every little piece of everything out of the wax! And I was being so careful not to scratch the paint! For the other products I ordered, I purchased them based on many recommendations!

Light scratches- Einszett Metallic Polish(red can)

Medium scratches- Einszett Paint Polish(green can)

Heavy scratches- Einszett Ultra Polish(yellow can)

Like new finish- Einszett Waxpolish Soft

These are by far the most "user friendly" products available:)

Could anyone point me in the right direction, as where to purchase (in Ontario Canada) some of these soaps/shampoos talked about in this thread and many others...i.e. ZAINO, MEGUAIRS GOLD CLASS, EINZETT etc.....

Thanks in advance