First Long Drive (6 hrs)

Has the attention from your M3 ev

• Yes

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I don't ever feel that range of emotions.. (uhhem.. BullS) :)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I just got back from visiting some friends in Ithaca, NY. I live just outside of D.C. But I had to drive my Son to Karate camp in Mercersburg. Anyway.. I had to do about 6 hours straight driving.. I'm sure this is short for some of you.. but I never go farther than 100 miles in one trip.. if longer I fly :) This 6 hours was across the Apalachian Mountains.. It was beautiful, Twisty, and a lot of testing on accelerating up/down hills.. I'm happy to say, I didn't even feel any loss of power or speed... One thing I am really surprised is that I nevre really got sore.. Usually my back would kill me. I was tired as a hell though when I got to my destination. Sounds kinda stranger to by physically wiped from driving that long... I also have the 19" rims that people say make for a rougher ride.. I loved every bit of it .. it was great.. Couldnt' do that often, but once a year is good :) I have never had that much fun driving... Oh yeah.. everyone oogling the car the whole way was Priceless... Especially when I got to that podunk town.. my god it was crazy to see how people live that poor.. Cows tied the porches, Trailers that had Trailers, etc.. I think I must have made some peoples day because I was forever getting stopped when on the main streets or when I pulled into stores.. everyone looooved the M :) don't care if people think this is shallow, but I felt so prideful and "elite".. But now I am back to my normal world... workity work

Last edited:

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
Oh yes its the pest pick me up in the world. At the stops along the memorial run (which i did in an E34 M5) people looking and talking amoung themselves about our car was so good it was worth the 16hrs straight driving. and pulling up and letting the Munich bred rotwheiler in the exhaust bark get everyones attention. HAIL TO THE M [:D]

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the reaction of others to your automobile. I get a lot of stares, gestures, questions, crowds of people, etc. I bought the NSX to drive, not to show, but I can't deny the satisfaction it brings. It does make me feel good.

I love to drive the M3, but it's a nice feeling when people gawk at it. It's cool to see the looks on people's faces when a small woman like myself gets in or out of it. A car is not the measure of a person, but people do give the M3 a lot of respect. [;)]

I was driving it around all day trying to get to 1200 miles!!!!!

Can't wait to get my M3 back....

Hello everyone,
I have not been on in quite sometime. Tom and a few others here know my situation from last December when I had my car for 6 days, and 500 miles later, then it was gone.......very sad.....[:(] ......[rolleyes] but hey, it's all good now......[thumb] I am refinacing my house and going to take out some equity and by me a new one.......yeah[hihi] [driving]

So I am pretty excited that I will have my car back and be able to come on here and talk about BMW's again. Well, that is all for now, I will keep you updated on my status.

Take care all. [thumb]

Rob

Timmeh

Hey Rob,
I have been checking this post since about March. What happened to your M3? I came to this forum to research which car to buy, and it has been very informative. Tim

Tom

Staff Team
Sweet drive MindSpike, I took my M3 to AZ last year for a 13 hour drive. Loved every moment of it, especially on the whiny trails.

13 Hours.. oh hell no.. I dont' think my body could handle that. Unless I had some hot chick next to me to make it tolerable. I think I would have to fly that distance... I also have this thing about putting too much mileage on the car... btw tom, is there any chance this new forum can get the "quick post" back. I liked being able to reply while having all the messages on the same screen without having to go onto another screen.

Last edited:
So I drove from NY to Miami and back. It took about 16 hours each way. I avoided taking I95 as much as I could without slowing down too much. Instead I took 95 to 85 to 75. The Florida's Turnpike has a lot of straightaways. I hit 145 a few times. I think it's time to procure a radar detector. Anyone know of any really good in-dash jobs? Anyhow, I planned to take some of the more senic routes back to NY, but time did not permit. Perhaps next time (about 3mos.) I let my girlfriend drive us from the BMW factory in Spartanburg to Atlanta GA. (If you plan to go on the factory tour, make sure you reserve 2 weeks or more in advance, and don't wear sandals or open toed shoes.)

Big Daddy

Your drive sounds like it was a blast. I have had many a drive some long some short. The first year we owned a roadster my wife and I drove from north Idaho to Glacier Park in Montana, then over to the Oregon coast. I have made numerous trips from north Idaho to Seattle or Portland (in-laws), about a five hour trip one way, over the last twenty years (that is one reason I moved to the Seattle area). I drove a friends semi truck and race car trailer from Arizona to Portland Oregon non stop a couple of times, but then again I am one who loves to drive.

BTM3

I'm sure any M owners out there are probably like me. I look for reasons to go out and drive around. Every chance I get, as during the day I'm at work for about 12 hours at a pop, I don't get much relief. I actually had a great drive yesterday, weather was beautiful, mid 70's, sunny, no humidity. My girl and I just went cruising around Philly for the day, she loves it too when people gawk at the car and at her too. A bunch of guys riding crotch rockets all pulled up and told me what phat ride the M is. I get thumbs up and head nods from people constantly... and, I am proud of my whip... only thing that sucks about BMW's is the brake dust... chrome wheels especially.. have to be cleaned constantly... this is my 3rd BMW.
I've had an E36 - M3, E36 328i sport, 97 3000 GT VR-4 and out of all of em, my new M3 gets the most looks and responses of any car i've had in the past.

Carbon Black M3 - SMG - Navi - HK.

There's also about 4 or 5 new M3's in my area that I pass every now and then, I love pulling up next to them - we always kind of give each other that look of "yeah!!! we're on top" its cool.. the camaraderie amongst M owners.

Last edited:

rohde88

MindSpike said:
I just got back from visiting some friends in Ithaca, NY. ... Especially when I got to that podunk town.. my god it was crazy to see how people live that poor.. Cows tied the porches, Trailers that had Trailers, etc..
I dearly hope you are not referring to Ithaca. We Cornellians are quite the gentry.

Ron