headlights pointed down?

My 525, 5spd, PP, CWP is now two months old. Yes, it's not the sportiest model. Yes, I sorta regret not ponying up the cash for the 530, but who cares, I am in love with my car anyway. I'm a bimmer driver/fanatic for life now. However, there is one thing that is a bit frustrating.

My headlights (halogen) seem to be pointed too low. I know this is a bit subjective, but it's pretty noticeable to me and also passengers, and I always have the urge to turn my brights on. I swear it seems that only about 25 or 30 feet are illuminated with the top sorta truncated. Almost like the hood is blocking the top of the light. I can actually see the shadow line from the ridge in the hood. Since this is my first bimmer, I'm not sure if this is just normal. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to manually adjust these or am I left to contact my service dept?

Thanks for your time and help. As always, I love the board and the new look is sweet.

Fraser

I have a 2001 540 which I just recently bought.

I mentioned the same thing to the dealer who convinced me nothing was wrong but I was out again at night and something has got to be wrong. I have paced off about 25-30 yards as the line that is shown on the pavement and then it slants up to the right. This strikes me as completely wrong. I have talked to two other owners who have a different set up.

I don't know what others have found but mine is going into the shop as this just not seem right to me.

Good Luck

The same condition appears with the Xenon lights I have.

Just adjust them yourself to your liking. If people start to flash their lights at you, lower them a little. That's what I did.

Even the Halogens in the BMW get good distance! I had a 328i and at night people used to always flash me the brights because they thought mine were on and they weren't! I took it to BMW and they said they were fine! Then one night I got pulled over because the cop said I was driving with my brights on!!! Well the following morning I did not even call BMW I just showed up and said fix my headlights and while you are at it pay my ticket because of you guys mis diagnosing this I got a ticket and I told you there was a problem! The key thing to do is bitch or make up a story about how you couldn't see something or whatever, they might be more willing to examine the problem further! Good Luck, sounds like an awesome car!

if u check your manual they describe how to adjust them yourself.
that line u see from the hood isn't caused by the hood its the beam
cut-off pattern and that's good b/c it doesn't blind oncoming folks.
u have projection headlights which are very "pointable" in that you can
set them up exactly how u need them to be. it might be a screw
came loose and they slipped down a little ya know?

Guys, just take your BMW to your local BMW dealership and have them re-position the Xenons (just tell them you want the beams pointed a little higher). They can do this in about 5 minutes, free of charge....it is more of a "preference" than a "problem".