Help! Any Idea why trans works in 123 mode only?

[pray] Hello - I am new on here and just purchased a 1988 535iS MTech in Red and it is sweet- anyway last nite while running the car, I messed with the S-E-123 mode and now for some reason I have no shift past 1st unless almost redline to 2nd. Forget the sport mode - wont work- but the car shifts in 123 mode- there is no limp mode light on the dash, and the car workd in 1st 2nd and third only. Is there a reasonable explanation? Trans rode perfect without and issues last nite- It is full of fluid also. At this time I have disconnected the hot battery to maybe reset the brain..I have done some readig, and it could be a neg ground and the brain detects a fault...I will wait patiently for a reply. Any help is greatly appreciated...[:)]

Hi Tim
Are you saying the tranny won't shift up to 4th gear?
Had that problem with my '89 535!
Took the car to the dealer and had it scannned to find the problem. The tech told me it was either
the torque converter or the speed sensor switch. The converter was only a few months old so I figured,
great, just the switch to replace. The service manager calls me later to say I need a tranny rebuild.
O K, whatever, fix the car. Nine days later I pick up the car and it still does the same thing. I flip out at the dealer and they keep my car to solve the problem. Next day they call to say the speed switch was replaced and
all is fine.
I was so pissed with the Stealer and fired letters and emails to everyone at BMW. After a couple of weeks of harrassing the owner he gave me back 2/3 of the cost of the rebuild but still claimed it was needed according to the shop manager.
So try checking those two things first.
Good luck

WOW! Imagine this happening to you!

Hi Tim
Are you saying the tranny won't shift up to 4th gear?
Had that problem with my '89 535!
Took the car to the dealer and had it scannned to find the problem. The tech told me it was either
the torque converter or the speed sensor switch. The converter was only a few months old so I figured,
great, just the switch to replace. The service manager calls me later to say I need a tranny rebuild.
O K, whatever, fix the car. Nine days later I pick up the car and it still does the same thing. I flip out at the dealer and they keep my car to solve the problem. Next day they call to say the speed switch was replaced and
all is fine.
I was so pissed with the Stealer and fired letters and emails to everyone at BMW. After a couple of weeks of harrassing the owner he gave me back 2/3 of the cost of the rebuild but still claimed it was needed according to the shop manager.
So try checking those two things first.
Good luck[/QUOT] Well I am sorry to hear that they did that to you- I seemed to learn that lesson about the DEALER years ago...after a weekend of researching every BMW message board in the world, and talking to 3 BMW master Techs, they all had different stories...I was so upset I was going to cry...None of the suggestions was economical...As I went out on monday morning to go to a transmission shop to try to plead poverty, (left my rolex at home) and pulled up, and got into a argument with some low life, who told me to leave the car and they have to tear it apart to tell me what is wrong- how do you like that? Nevertheless, I told him what I thought about his racket, and left...just as god was on my side, i noticed a little transmission shop and pulled in. A really great nice guy came out - complimented me on my car- jumped in, and drove off to test it...I am nervously smoking a cig waiting for the numbers to be added up...Well to my surprise, he got out and told me he fixed it...I needed a new Kick Down switch (Under the acceleator) I just about fainted..I couldn't believe this...after all the crooks and theifs that were telling me "NEW TRANS" this guy comes out of nowhere...I say that I thought it was fried-but for some reason I just couldn't let it go- it was stuck in Limp mode...that means the Brain reads something is wrong either electrically or hydrolically....So thanks for your story, and since i am now a master at transmission issues, please let me know- thanks for the reply- you were the only one! I guess people are scared ot the T word..lol [sing]

Attachments