How can you tell a S50 from S52

My dad recently purchased an 1995 M3. Is there a way to tell if it has the S50 engine vs the S52 based on looks. Is there something in the engine compartment or on the engine itself?

I need to get some parts for the car as the accessory belt pulley broke and the accessory belt just whacked everything within reach, including the radiator. Of course the car overheated in the process and had to be towed back to the house.

the intake manifold is different. The S52 has more curved intake runners while the S50 has fatter runners. The S52 runners are smaller than the S50 manifold. The S50 manifold is a good performance mod on the S52 motor. The port daimeter in the S52 manifold is smaller than the ports on the head (because of the new Emiisions in 96 obd-II) the S50 ports match the ports on the head. I have swapped them on my car.

Anything that is listed as model year 1995 will absolutely be S50US. Those are the OBD1 cars. There were actually no '94 M3's, although they were manufactured for the US as early as 3/94 (I believe I've heard 2/94). The '95, by far, was the longest running model year for the e36 M3. They manufactured it right until the end of '95, keeping away from the OBD2 as long as would be allowed.

A quick way to tell that the car is a '95 is, assuming it still has the stock wheels, the rear wheels will be 7.5" wide instead of 8.5". Starting with the '96 model year, the rears went to 8.5" in response to complaints that the car "oversteered too much" when, in fact, the handling was quite neutral, and will still understeer steady-state.

silvere46m3

4000 Post Club
i believe you can tell by looking at the oil filler cap, if the cap is at the end by the firewall, its an s50, and if it is towards the front of the engine, then it is the s52 motor.