How do the '99 M3's compare to past and present m3's?

gedwyn

I have a conv. 99 M3 and was wondering how they compare to other M3's? I know the newer ones have more
HP and a more cushiony ride but I was wondering about handling, reliability and such.
Thanks,
Paul

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
I'm not going to comment on handling etc due to the fact that its a very opionated and this will turn into a fight when the asses of flame decend. the E30 is obscenely light and capable and the most graceful out of the 3 (im taking E30,E36 and E46 as one model per E ) the E36 is faster in a straight line some say its faster round a track but when you say this one person will pipe up saying the E30 is better handling. The E46 is not as much as an Icon as the E30 IS and E36 WAS! so people really just forget about it. When the 400Bhp V8 M3 comes out next year that will (I Hope) stop all arguments about which is best! All in all an M3 is an M3 nothing below a porsche is going to out accelerate it to 120+Mph.

From what I've read, the new M3 is better than the previous M3 all around in numbers...better acceleration, better braking, and better handling. But they say that the previous M3 (E36 M3) is a much more raw sports car and more fun to drive. I can't comment on this...I have only driven an E46 M3 Convertible (SMG) once and I have never driven the E36 M3. But I can tell you every time I sit inside an M3 (whether at a BMW dealership or at a car show), I am so spiritually satisfied, I start to cry. [:D]

having owned both the e30 and currrently e36 m3, I have 2 say that the e30 handles much better. it is a lighter car with finely balanced handling and perfect for the Nurbering curcuit. However, the engine sounds like a bag of nails in comparison to the E36, which is not as track friendly as the e30, but then again it is much much more refined. u need to make your own mind up, but it still can't decide, when i drive the e30, i want one but when i drive the e36 i'm glad i own that one. maybe i should just own buy an e30 as well!!

Not necessarily...probably the main reason that the M3 is always a legend of its time is because it is so fast. No matter what generation of M3 it is, it always boasted extremely impressive 0-60 and 1/4-mile times, and I think that is one of the main reasons why EVERYBODY respects the M3 so much...they know it's fast.
We all know that the M3 is such a great-handling car, but if you ask any average driver what they like about the M3, they will probably say that it looks hot and that it is fast. [:)]