How to convert a BMW 325i to an M3 - Please Help

jphinkle

Hey Guys, I have a 1992 Bmw 325i that I wasted 2nd gear on and was considering swapping the tranny with one from a 95 M3. Does anyone know if this will or will not work. I know I have a 2.5 liter though I was thinking that the M3 was a 3.0. Can anyone let me know if they have a good site for information on the m3 convertion or from their own personal experiences. Thanks in advance. JP

there is no such thing as a regular 3 series to an m3 conversion. and please dont try. you could put the m3 engine in your car but please do not call it an m3 or give in an m3 badge. now, im pretty sure the m3 tranny will fit in your car and up to your engine if thats what your asking

jphinkle

Why would you say there is no such thing? I am under the impression that with a drivetrain swap and some body work youll have an M3 (basically). What other things should I consider when doing this swap. Thanks for the reply.

jphinkle

That's really been my debate. Whether just to shell out the money for an m3 or upgrade my 325i, I'm getting the tranny out of a 95 m3 (with only 30,500 miles on it with a warranty from an established business) which I need to replace anyway so I was considering doing further m3 drivetrain upgrades. Does anyone have a good site for more information on this. Thanks again for all the input.

Big Daddy

It is not done because as mentioned it is too cost prohibitive! When you are done you are still titled and registered as what the VIN says and the car will value as such! How much do you think a 3.0 M motor is going to cost you, about $5,000.00! Do not forget suspension, cosmetics, bumpers, grilles, etc! Sell your car and buy an M.

jphinkle said:
Why would you say there is no such thing? I am under the impression that with a drivetrain swap and some body work youll have an M3 (basically). What other things should I consider when doing this swap. Thanks for the reply.
In addition to drive train and body work, you need to replace the front and rear suspension.

The best way to do this conversion is to sell the 325 and get an M3.

jphinkle

Im starting to get the point. This isnt the first time Ive been advised to sell it. I just don't feel I can really get much for it. I am pretty certain its a theft recovery and as I mentioned there is no second gear. Does anyone have an idea of what this is worth, I am assuming not much. I picked it up last year for 2,750 with 106,000 miles. Any suggestions where to sell a bmw that needs repairs. I was considering ebay. BTW I realized the suspension would have to be switched. What is the real difference between the 2 models? Thanks for all the advice.

epj3

M3 had more powerful engine, stronger drivetrain, stronger suspension, subframe reinforcements, much bigger brakes (much better too!), much different interior, much different body accents.

"am pretty certain its a theft recovery and as I mentioned there is no second gear."

What's the vin? PM it to me I can run a carfax for you.

M3 conversion would be simple but like most people here say its not a real M3 but what i would call a hybrid.
1. suspension is something that you would upgrade anyway so that dont really count.
2.body/cosmetics buying a M3 body kit would do the trick
3.engine mods isnt really that tricky a set of good cams and a chip should take care of that and get you near or above M3 hp.
sure you can sell your car and just buy a real M3 which might be the most cost effective but whats the fun in having a car that you cant mod the way you want?

epj3

cams for a US M3 motor cost a ton of money for very little gain. I'm going with all bolt-on's on my personal car and that's probably it. If I ever feel a need for more power I'll get the twin screw supercharger setup from AA.

jphinkle

Im thinking I at least want to put the tranny in so I can sell it or mod it. It's been a real debate. I won this transmission on ebay. Great deal only 30,500 miles on it from a 95 M3 with a warranty and I am looking to put it in my 92 325i with 118,000 miles. First off will this work. I am getting mixed answers to this question. Will this mount up properly? Which clutch, flywheel, driveshaft should I use ones for an m3 or 325?

Please yale a look and let me know if this will fit my 92 325i.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-B...ryZ33733QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Thanks for all the advice. JP

rugby

that guy who wants to convert his car is really dumb. no way will he make it an m-3 brakes and suspenion are as important as trans and engine. if you are going to hot rod your car.(done all the time 350 chevys in old 32 fords) at least drive like you know the cars brakes suspension won't handle the power. if he can get a better trans cheap, put it in and enjoy it. but don't think you have an m-3. and don't try to badge it and sell it as one.(although anyone who fell for that might deserve what he bought?)

epj3

rugby said:
that guy who wants to convert his car is really dumb. no way will he make it an m-3 brakes and suspenion are as important as trans and engine. if you are going to hot rod your car.(done all the time 350 chevys in old 32 fords) at least drive like you know the cars brakes suspension won't handle the power. if he can get a better trans cheap, put it in and enjoy it. but don't think you have an m-3. and don't try to badge it and sell it as one.(although anyone who fell for that might deserve what he bought?)
For the price of making it look exactly like an M3, even if he passes it off as an M3, he will STILL be out a few thousand bucks.

Tom

Staff Team
RitC3-M3 said:
Just install the trans, get some body components and enjoy the car...that's what it's all about .

I agree with his advice. Plus you should consider turbocharging the motor down the line to give you more power. This would be much more cost effective than a motor swap.