iPod controller design

Terrence

[mad] Just wondering how many 7 series owners have had to replace their iPod controller because of its poor design. My 745i was less than 8 weeks old when a very small amount of water (half ounce) was spilled on the center console when a drink cup's cap came off as the cup was lifted from the cup holder adjacent to the controll knob. The water was immediately dried with paper towels however a portion of the water seeped under the iPod control knob and shorted out the entire unit making it impossible to access any of the functions it controlled. Replacement was over $800 on the 7 week old car! It should be noted that the drink holders are no more than 1 inch from the controller. In designing the iPod system, there was apparently no thought given to preventing this very predictable problem by installing a seal around the controller. I called BMW to request some consideration in view of the car being brand new and received no monetary compensation and very little sympathy.

Wow, 7ers are now coming with built in iPods?

By the way, it's an iDrive controller, not an iPod controller. iPod = mp3 player made by Apple Computer. iDrive = poor user interface developed by BMW.