Just hit the fasted in my life with the E90...

Think me crazy... but I was too tempted. I just hit 140 on the belt parkway in brooklyn, NY. I almost lost control tho cause my eyes were fixed on the spedometer and I had one hand on the steering wheel and DTC off. The car is F**cken amazing. Stable and tight.

I was racing my friend's 92 maxima SE in manual. I gotta give it up to him... that car is quick, no mods no nothing.

However i was a lil dissapointed it actually compared. Are these cars comaparable. I mean it is the SE but look at the numbers.. it dosent make much sence. Maybe my engine is still new and fresh and still not at its peak (2000 miles so far) ill have to give it some time to relize who is driving it ;)

Last edited:
you didn't happen to browse your owners manual did you?

You aren't supposed to drive it hard until around 3000 miles. They call it the break in period and is actually pretty important.

You didn't really "almost lose control" did you!?!? I hope here wasn't anybody else around except for you friend. Might as well take out two not so bright folks at the same time. You should be more responsible at those speeds bro. I'm not trying to be and ace cause i speed too within reason, i am careful of those around me.

Tom

Staff Team
Yeah that probably wasn't a good idea to go that fast in such a new car, but I have to agree going at that speed is pretty amazing. I've done it once heading through the middle of no where in AZ. But I think once at speeds above 150mph in a car should last me a lifetime.

Last person I know of that did 140 mph and was watching the speedo instead of the road is now DEAD - he missed a turn.

Driving at that speed is a blast, but you gotta be smart about it. Driving 140 with one hand and watching the speedo is just stupid, and that's being polite!

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Big Daddy is right, look at that painful picture... Getting "gently" rear-ended hurts, now imagine getting rear-ended that hard. The Brooklyn belt parkway is bumpy and even a little hilly and has a few turns, I would never speed there. Theres usually a highway unit stationed around where I think you're talking about, you got very lucky. I think it's the same nasty officer (if not the same squad) who did the phony HOV lane tickets, if he's willing to flag random motorists over to meet his quota I doubt he'll cut you a break for 90 over the limit.. NYC cops are considered experts in speeding cases when in traffic court, even with a lawyer your chances of getting the ticket dismissed are next to none. (theres no prosecuter, which means no bargaining either, it's all the points or none.)

As for the nissan practically catching your 325i, keep in mind it is an auto (im guessing) and 215hp/185 torque isn't a lot in a 3500lb car when you're playing with a 2500lb nissan probably with a similar power to weight ratio.

Its actually a 330i with 255hp and 220torque. im thinking theres no comparison but he was preety fast on high speed. but not that fast.

I thought the break-in period was 1000 mi? thats when i started to floor the car. but now i feel after 2000 mi the car is getting faster and faster.

Don't worry that was the first (and maybe last) time i have done it. I just wanted to say that i actually did 140 before. And in a place like NY... that is not common to do. BTW there is only one track that i know of thats in the tri-state area and its in NJ... but its not the kind of track you can test your handling and race other cars. its preety much for quarter mile and i think top speed.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Actually theres a place on the southern state where everyone tends to do 100mph for a few miles as it's smooth paved and straight... There is also plenty of deserted places and roads upstate...

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
That’s why they have Heads-up display, in the 6er it is amazing, you can watch the revs and your speed without taking your head off the road, standard German efficiency.

I remember when I used to go to Adelphi University in Garden City, NY, I'd take the Cross Bronx to the Throggs Neck Bridge to the Cross Island. Anyways, the exit from Cross Bronx to Throgs Neck Bridge, there is this long straightaway right before you actually get to the bridge where there are just NO cars during the right time of day. I as well as other sports car drivers used to love going 120+ on that straight section...I got my ass handed to me by an STi once though. Later on they started enforcing it hard-core and I used to see SLK32 AMG, M Roadster, and other cars like that pulled over all the time.

I do not speed at all anymore, I used to do that when my car was first new to me, but there are certainly random highways around NYC where you can just whip your car insanely hard but as BMW325i mentioned, you have to watch out for illegitimate cops handing out random bullshit tickets (I got one myself).

And as the other forum members stated, try to stay away from high speeds....it endangers you, your vehicle, and other drivers. We all love our cars here so we know how you feel, but you can't enjoy and appreciate your car if you're not alive.

bmw046series said:
That’s why they have Heads-up display, in the 6er it is amazing, you can watch the revs and your speed without taking your head off the road, standard German efficiency.
Actually, this is nothing new or specific to German cars. This tech was originally designed for US fighter jets, and my parents' old 1994 Pontiac Bonneville and my fiancee's 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix had/have a HUD.

I actually dislike the HUD - I find it to be distracting, and I always turn it off when driving the Grand Prix.

jrt67ss350 said:
Actually, this is nothing new or specific to German cars. This tech was originally designed for US fighter jets, and my parents' old 1994 Pontiac Bonneville and my fiancee's 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix had/have a HUD.

I actually dislike the HUD - I find it to be distracting, and I always turn it off when driving the Grand Prix.
Interesting, from what I understood, the owners of these cars usually enjoyed the feature. I think I would really like it for a manual car.