Just Ordered 645ci Convertible

jpnorman

I just ordered a 645ci convertible to replace my 2003 M3 Convertible. I hope I'm not making a mistake by replacing it with a 6 series. If anyone has any comments good or bad about the new 645ci convertible before I jump off the bridge I would appreciate it. I really don't want to make a $82,995 mistake but admit to having second thoughts. [chair]

Hard to beat the M IMO....

Well my personal preference would be the M. I just think its an awesome vehical - does nearly everything exceptionaly well - and looks fantasitc in the drop top - just about the best looking convertable out there IMO. The 6 looks like an impressive machine too - but for my tastes its too large and likely not as thrilingly sporty. But it all depends on what you do with it and what you want it for. I'm sure there was a reason for you to go for the 6 - and perhaps you might want to verbalize it - it may help your thinking...and not to change up things on you - but for that kind of $$$$ you could consider an Audi RS6...its not a drop top...but in terms of performance (and exclusivisity)...plus likely to be a collectors item...and goes fast in the snow! Just a thought...

jpnorman

Thanks for the response. I love my M3 its a great car. I am attached to the convertible becuase this is weekend car that only gets driven when the weather is nice, my M3 has less than 2,000 miles and is like new. I treat it really well. I think that most people would agree that the M3 is the best in its class or close to it.

I looked at the and ordered the 645 because I assumed it would be an good upgrade. Generally a better car even though the performance may not be as good, it gets pretty close to the M3. But now I am not quite so sure, from all that I read it may not be near as well liked and in fact it has gathered not negative review but certainly neutral reviews from some critics. So perhaps my $$$ are better spent elsewhere. Maybe what I have is the best and my judgment is clouded by my desire to have bigger and better.

I just want to make the right choice and am unsure. Will I be happy with the 645 or would I be better to stick with the M3. I don't know anyone with the car and was hoping someone would give me their opinion.

MyHarley said:
Houston is ripping at the seams with BMW's.............6'er any day of week over the M3.......
I don't at all agree...while the 6 may be more distinctive (and more comfortable and roomy) - I imagine that it will not match the M3s driving experience - not even close really...so what matters most? Looking good/being envied or what have you...cruising around...or real driving fun and performance. The 6 may seem to come close to the M3 in terms of acceleration, lap times or what have you - but I have no doubt that the intangibles belong to the M3 - how it handles itself in transition, carves up the back roads, and even in day to day traffic and such...think about it...

jpnorman said:
I am attached to the convertible becuase this is weekend car that only gets driven when the weather is nice, my M3 has less than 2,000 miles and is like new. I treat it really well.
I hear you...my Mustang - a 40 year old car - has only 51K miles. Its been in the snow only once - and rarely even has been rained on - and always gets parked in a garage - its spent very few nights out in the open. Its a weekend (and around town...and off to the beach...or the mountains) cruiser extordinare...my baby...(oh and its [pretty much] like new...really it is...you woulnd't believe it...except for some small tears in the soft top...you would think it just drove off the showroom floor...gotta love it!)...keep the M...you've already shown it proper care and love...make it yours!

..oh - and on the other side of the coin - my S4 is not even 2 1/2 years old...almost 50K miles!! By this summer it will surpas the stang...one reason we are getting the 330...to put some miles on something other the the S4...

Since I work for a BMW dealership, I have had the oppurtunity to drive the 645Ci Cabriolet many times. I think it is a great upgrade from the M3. The car rides well and the shifts are better then perfect, not to mention that beautiful engine noise. The only thing that I should warn you of is the iDrive navigation system, compared to the M3, it is extremely hard to get used to and takes along time to master. Other than that, good luck with your new car.

I have both 745 Li and M3 Convertible. Since 645 Ci Cabriolet uses the same engine as that of 745 Li, I guess what is with the latter might be with the former as well.
1. Engine and exhaust:
645 Ci Cabriolet -- very very quiet so that you probably aren't intened to drive it faster.
M3 Convertible -- excitingly noisy so that you would like to drive it like a racing car.
(If you like to enjoy both driving fun and sound effects, you better keep your M3)
2. rear seats -- 645 Ci Cabriolet is obviously more spacious than M3 (If you ALWAYS need more spacious rear seats, you better consider 645)
3.M3 is mcuh smaller than 645 -- this keeps M3 more agile when you drive it on a winding road, but if you ALWAYS drive on a, say, two-mile straight road, which is not rare in the States but rare in my country, Taiwan, you better choose the more comfotable 645.
4.Acceleration -- 0 -100km : M3 5.5 sec, 645 6.5 sec. This difference matters to me, but may not to you because I regularly drive M3 with my M3 club members, who all drive very fast.

Attachments

Here in the Uk the convertible 645 is priced at around $110,000 ,
I would love to hear your experience after 6 months or so , whether it is worth the money or not, [scratch]

I really like the 6 series. I think the 645 convert would be an awesome car to bomb around in on the weekends. i think you will be very happy with what your purchased, albeit its not M3, the 645 will be a blast of a car. mounds or torque to have fun with, and just a solid cruiser

jpnorman

Thanks for all of your responses. I have now taken an extended test drive but will not get my car till August or September. The 645 is smoother and more luxurious but still quite sporty and handles very, very well. I was impressed. With an automatic which I drove, it is much smoother than my SMG. If it is slower than my M3, (which apparently it is) I cannot tell any difference from my drive (about 25 minutes) as it seems equally as fast. It's bigger in all aspects except the back seat which is surprising smaller than my M3 and for the most part pretty worthless unless you as the driver are willing to move your seat up, especially with the top up. Top down the ride is much less blustery than the M3 but not quite as smooth as the drive in a Lexus SC430 or Mercedes SL. Having the back window up or down, which is a neat trick on a convertable didn't seem to make much difference on my short drive.

I didn't really get to play with the IDrive but must admit it looks way too complicated for what it is and does. I will report back once I have the car and have driven it for 30 days.

So I have a mint 2003 M3 SMG, Carbon Black with cinnamon leather, loaded with every option, 1400 miles for sale that still smells new for sale, any offers.

mbcady

I have had my 645 Convertable for three weeks now and I could not be more happy. The car drives like a go-kart. My car is equiped with the active steering and automatic. I also have a 2002 SL 600 and 2001 S55 AMG. The BMW is by far the most fun. I dont think you will be disaponted.