Nav systems compared

jay0

My wife just got a Toyota Prius with Nav, which is the same as the Lexus system.
I've been comparing it to the E90's system, and thought I would pass on some observations for those who are thinking of getting the i-drive.
In most respects the Toyota system puts the BMW's to shame, but there are a few things the BMW does better. The maps are clearer and easier to read. The voice guidance is clearer and more pleasant to hear. The Bluetooth phone system is much better and will automatically transfer your phone book to the car when you get in, which the Toyota can't do, at least with our phones.
But in using the navigation system, there is no contest. The touch screen alone makes the process easy, but the system is more intuitive and has more points of interest data, which can be sorted, so entering destinations is a breeze. And the voice command system has a hundred or more commands. I could go on and on.
I sort of knew before I got my E90 that the nav would be relatively lame, but I got it anyway. Everything else about the E90 is so good, it outweighs the weaknesses of the i-drive. On trips, though, we'll probably take my wife's car ( 60 mpg doesn't hurt either).

deburn

I decided not to get the BMW nav because i heard -ve things about company installed systems (is that called OEM or is it the other way around?) - like extra costs for upgrades, lesser functionality etc. Also i wanted to be able to take it with me when I fly to another city.

I just bought a Garmin c320 based on what I found out, but the TomTom 300 and the Garmin c330 also got good reviews in the same price range

jay0 said:
My wife just got a Toyota Prius with Nav, which is the same as the Lexus system.
I've been comparing it to the E90's system, and thought I would pass on some observations for those who are thinking of getting the i-drive.
In most respects the Toyota system puts the BMW's to shame, but there are a few things the BMW does better. The maps are clearer and easier to read. The voice guidance is clearer and more pleasant to hear. The Bluetooth phone system is much better and will automatically transfer your phone book to the car when you get in, which the Toyota can't do, at least with our phones.
But in using the navigation system, there is no contest. The touch screen alone makes the process easy, but the system is more intuitive and has more points of interest data, which can be sorted, so entering destinations is a breeze. And the voice command system has a hundred or more commands. I could go on and on.
I sort of knew before I got my E90 that the nav would be relatively lame, but I got it anyway. Everything else about the E90 is so good, it outweighs the weaknesses of the i-drive. On trips, though, we'll probably take my wife's car ( 60 mpg doesn't hurt either).