New 1 Series to have 3.0 Liter Power

Big Daddy

"BMW has confirmed that it is to put its three-litre engine (the lightest six-cylinder in the world, already available in the 630i and forthcoming 330i) into the 1-Series hatchback"

0-62 times of 6.2 sec! Nice for a little hatchback.

Car Keys

Tom

Staff Team
Good fine Dan

I know its light, but the part that kills me is that it only puts out 258hp. Either way if that HB were to come here, it would be my next commuter car.

Tom said:
Good fine Dan

I know its light, but the part that kills me is that it only puts out 258hp. Either way if that HB were to come here, it would be my next commuter car.
Heck mine too. Sounds like a step in the right direction for the 1 series...

No doubt - this goes against some earlier rumors of 2.5's turbo'd coming out. Makes more sense actually given BMW's NA theme. Just slap a bigger engine in it, and call it a day. [:)]

Just how big is it? If it's along the size of the Mazda3 5door hatch, it's gonna be a tight fit. (One of my best buds just bought one of those. Nifty little car with amazingly good handling, but tiny inside!). I hope they don't get away from sizing BMW cockpits to fit big drivers at least.. Us germans are thick! [rolleyes]

Big Daddy said:
34 mpg and a six speed manual......nice go to work car.......I might have to get a job to go back to so I can buy this commuter.
Hehe Dan, decisions decisions... This could be a good car for going back in forth between Idaho and Washington for you depending on how much cargo you carry... It would be nice if they brought this to the US...

I don't understand why they haven't introduced the 1's in the USA. There are lots of people who'd want a small bimmer. I like what I have seen in pictures so far.

Much better that BMW's last attempt at a 2-door hatchback (wasn't it called something like a 318ti???). I did not like those.

[driving2]

DRWWE said:
I don't understand why they haven't introduced the 1's in the USA. There are lots of people who'd want a small bimmer. I like what I have seen in pictures so far.

Much better that BMW's last attempt at a 2-door hatchback (wasn't it called something like a 318ti???). I did not like those.

[driving2]
I also have no idea why they aren't bringing this car here. I think they'd sell like crazy. This kind of car is "hot" right now.

Maybe it's the same reason that they don't let us get things like 4 cylinders in the new BMWs or cloth seats - they only want to cash in on the big bucks in the US - don't want to tarnish that BMW roundel by offering affordably priced cars here. If they did, BMW might not be the status symbol that it is in the US - it might just become a normal car, like they are in Europe. [:0]

BMW would like to forget the 318ti - at least as far as the US ones.

4 cyl's are big in other parts of the world (Europe for one). It's the 'style' of car, built for their roads. small, economical (their gas prices are way more than ours), but still peppy enough to enjoy. In the US, it's all about power, and the perceivement that a 4cyl can't hang with most other cars sold in the US (which is pretty true - although many car makers are now going FI on their 4 cyls and reversing this trend and thought).

I had heard that the 2 series would come out here, but hey maybe the 1 will now that they've got a 3.0 in it. (2 series being the 'coupe' and vert version) I think it really would sell, and fits BMW's series change to reflect the 1/2 as the 'entry' vehicles instead of the 3. (and the price increase in the 3, 5, and 7)

Big Daddy

Specifications

Body Type: 5-door hatchback
Layout: Front engine, RWD
Engine: 258 horsepower, 221 lb-ft of torque, 24-valve 3.0L DOHC I-6
Transmission: 6-spd manual (opt. 6-spd automatic)
Brakes (front/rear): disc/disc, ABS, EBD, CBC
Seating Capacity: 5
Performance (0-100 km/h): less than 6.2 seconds
Cargo Volume (rear seats up/folded): 330/1150 L (11.65/40.61 cu ft)
Competition: Audi A3 Sportback V6, Mazdaspeed 3, Mercedes-Benz C320 Sport Coupe, Mini Cooper S Works, Saab 9-2x Aero, Volkswagen Golf GTI/R32

epj3

jrt67ss350 said:
I also have no idea why they aren't bringing this car here. I think they'd sell like crazy. This kind of car is "hot" right now.

Maybe it's the same reason that they don't let us get things like 4 cylinders in the new BMWs or cloth seats - they only want to cash in on the big bucks in the US - don't want to tarnish that BMW roundel by offering affordably priced cars here. If they did, BMW might not be the status symbol that it is in the US - it might just become a normal car, like they are in Europe. [:0]
You're right, and wrong... becuase bmw relies on it's name to sell cars. If bmw started to be known to sell value priced cars, then mercedes and audi sales would increase. I'm pretty sure bmw didn't have that attitude in the 70's and 80's when they became popular in the US... they were expensive cars becuase they were well built. Now-a-days they are expensive becuase you're paying for the name too.