oil change

ronald

I am going to attempt to change my oil and filter on my 2000 m-roadster with the 3.2 engine. what kind of oil and filter is o.k. to use? If I am sucessful I will drive to Florida for the winter.Thanks

Big Daddy

There is some bad advice in that link and thread, do not use ATF or 75w90 oil in your transmission as some in that thread recommend. I use Red Line D4ATF (this is not the same as plain ATF) is my differential and 75W90 in the transmission. I got this information for my roadster directly from Red Line :"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your M Roadster I would recommend the 10W40 in the engine, the D4ATF in the manual transmission and 75W90 in the differential. " Do not use 0w40 motor oil either. During your winter months, assuming you drive the car in the winter use a 5w40, other wise stick to 10w40, and for motor oil I use Mobil 1.

ronald

Hey Big Daddy,I installed a purolator filter for now and mobil 1 10 W 40 API SL/LF oil. The API oil is not shown in my owners hand book. I presume this is because the hand book was printed in 1999..... It seems like the oil tempature has gone down 20 degrees since the oil change. Does that seem right?... Also I will take your advice about the transmission and differential fluid when I change the fluid .My car has 25,000 miles on it so I am not sure when to change it. Thank you guys for the help ... You save me from doing alot of research that I barely understand Ronald

Big Daddy

Oil temp going down is a result of the synthetics ability to dissipate better than dino oil. I believe I waited until I had 30k on my roadster before I went to the Red Line oils in the diff and trans. I have not regretted it since. And your welcome!