Pick Up in germany

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
Go to your local dealership and ask them about the European Delivery Program, now you can only do this on the 3 series, 5, 6, 7 and X3, but not the Z4 or the X5 because those are built in SC. They give you a choice of tours and you choose from three different programs you fly to Munich and pick up the car and take a trip on any tour I don't remeber what they are now, but they will take like 7 % off the sticker price for doing it.

SO im guessing that we the consumer foots the entire bill of getting there and back!

We go over take a tour, drive the BMW around, give it back and they ship it to the dealership??

SOunds like a great experience to me! Yes it will be the 06 330:)

Booyah said:
SO im guessing that we the consumer foots the entire bill of getting there and back!

We go over take a tour, drive the BMW around, give it back and they ship it to the dealership??

SOunds like a great experience to me! Yes it will be the 06 330:)
Yes, that's how it works. They give you a fairly significant discount off of the price of the car. With that discount, you can usually pay for a decent vacation in Europe and maybe even still save some on the price of the car. You pay for your trip over and back and for whatever you do when you are there. You do NOT have to pay to have the car shipped back to the US - that cost is still included in the price of the car. You pick up the car in Munich, and you can either drop it off back in Munich or at numerous other places throughout Europe when you are done with your trip. BMW will ship the car back to the US, and you can pick it up at any US dealer you want (does not have to be the same dealer you made the purchase through). You don't have to do a tour - you can do whatever you want when you are over there.

My uncle did European delivery when he bought a new M3 back in 1996. My parents and I used to live in Germany, so my mom went with him. They had a good time, but he was afraid to drive his new M3, so they got a rental car (stupid uncle!!!).

Talk to your dealer - they will give you all the details and arrange everything for you if you decide to do it.

You can also check out the BMW Euro delivery website here: http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EuropeanDelivery/
Right now, Lufthansa and BMW have a deal where if you do Euro delivery start the travel before 12/31/05, you get a 2-for-1 deal on the airfare (a companion flies for free).

There are several people on the board who have done Euro delivery. Kirby was one of them - I'm sure he'd be happy to relate his experiences and provide advice.

If I buy a new BMW sometime in the future, I will definitely do the Euro delivery.

Cool, thanks for the info! Sounds like a fun trip. This will be my first BMW and the Wifes dream car---so a special trip to get it and tour a little would be a unforgetable experience.

Tool--I guess you count....Lol

Euro Delivery is the way to go!!! The people at the ED Center treat you like royalty and sincerely appreciate your business.

I did it in April of 2003. In brief, at that time, you got a 7% discount on the BASE price of the car, All options are at list price. Some people have said they were able to negotiate additional discounts with the dealer, but I was not able to do so. The dealer gets a "kickback" payment for processing and delivering ED cars, but they don't make as much $$ as a straight sale.

You must put a deposit down, the dealer will ask your delivery time frame, and then fax the factory to arrange an actual delivery date. You must pay IN FULL for the car at least 4 weeks prior to taking delivery so you need to have your finances lined up well ahead of time. They also will need to photocopy your passport and fax it to the ED center. This is for your protection. The ED Center will require your passport and match it to the fax before they give you your car.

ED includes German insurance and registration for 30 days. You can visit most western European countries, but as I recall, there were some exclusions. Check those if you plan to drive in eastern Europe.

Transportation and tour arrangements are ENTIRELY up to you. You may choose to use a travel agent, your own or one recommended by BMW (Conde Naste), or totally plan and schedule your trip as I did. They are running the Lufthansa promotion with the 2 for 1 deal, which is great. Lufthansa is a superb airline.

You can drop off at many locations. Once you leave the ED Center, you own the car, BMW ED Center is for the most part no longer involved. They have prearranged for EH Harms, their shipping agent, to handle the shipping details. You arrange with EH Harms where and when you will return the car. The Munich location is about 10 miles from the ED Center. Obviously, your airfare arrangements and costs are best when you do a round trip flight to Munich, but you could fly into Munich and drop off/fly out of Rome. Your car may be trucked or driven (!) to the nearest EH Harms shipping port. If you drop off in Munich, it goes on a truck with other cars and winds up on the same boat that all the brand new bimmers are on, out of a North Sea port.

The hardest part is coming home and waiting for 4 - 6 weeks until your car gets here! The weirdest part is picking up your "new" car at the local dealer and signing papers saying that they have imported a USED car for you, because, from an importation and legal viewpoint it IS a used car.

If you have any questions about the process or things to see over there, feel free to ask! Just to get you in the mood, here are some pictures.

Attachments

Thanks Kirby, I have been reading up on the ED a little bit. I new about the 7% but not the full price on options--I thought it was for the whatever the car priced out to be.

Im guessing you get a plant tour and actually see the BMW's being built? Ill have to go to my 1 BMW dealer and start asking questions.

Can you purchase the car without going through a dealer? The reason I ask because I really dont like our ONLY BMW dealer in the state.....Alaksa

You must also prearrange the factory tour, it is not automatically included. I do not think the dealer can do that, you must EMail BMW Munich directly, although I could be wrong. When I was there, I could not successfully arrange it, the tour was not available as they were retooling for a model year change.

Some dealers are very knowledgeable about ED, others are darn near clueless. My dealer knew enough to arrange it, but only does about one a month.