Pics of the new 3 series......?

epj3 said:
www.bmwusa.com You aren't going to see any owner pics yet since the first e90 rolled off the production line 2 days ago.

On bmw.usa you can still build your own E46...is the production of the E46 and E90 happening simultaneously?? Are E46s rolling of the line in another factory as the E90s come out of Leipzig?

How much longer or is the E46 M3 even being still built at M Gmbh?

Will production of the E46 M3 continue as people are purchasing the E90?

epj3

deutsch100 said:
On bmw.usa you can still build your own E46...is the production of the E46 and E90 happening simultaneously?? Are E46s rolling of the line in another factory as the E90s come out of Leipzig?

How much longer or is the E46 M3 even being still built at M Gmbh?

Will production of the E46 M3 continue as people are purchasing the E90?
E90 isn't out yet in the USA so I would assume it's being built simultaniously - though probably in different factories.

I still see the TL in the rear quarter of the new 3. When you go to BMWUSA's website and view the pictures, there's a series with a front end shot of each generation 3-er; they all seem to flow/evolve until the e46-90 transitiion--it's a radical change. (Go to the image gallery, then wallpaper, images 9-14.) I just looked at it again--it's the bumper. All the previous generations have a clear separation: grill/headlights, bumper, airdam. Now there's that Audi-esque trapezoid flowing from the grill down between the bumper under the lights. While the car mags say it's not as radical as the 5 or 7, it is. I'll bet if you did the same picture series with the rear, it'd be the same. The shape of the new back lights is way different than all the previous 3's--almost like the Q45 in shape. There's even a close up pic of the front quarter that looks a lot like the Z4. My feeling about the 3 and the 5 is that they would look better if the lights were more squared off, like all preious BMW's. That said, MB radically changes the S class each time and gets a more modern look--the next one will probably resemble the Maybach. Maybe we just have to get used to a new BMW look and hope/pray that the engineering continues to be excellent.

So, I timed it right to get an 04, except for the Bluetooth snafu. I'm wondering what improvements there might be by the time the new cabrio comes out. More hp? Better i-drive? Maybe not having to put the key in any slot to push the start button (like my friend's new RL)?

snowsedan04 said:
Glad I have the e46. This is a shrunken 5 Series, with a Toyota tail. And now we all get to enjoy IDrive. Yipee!
Me too. I can honestly say that this is the first time since 1999 with my C280 that I have felt that I want to keep my car (05 E46). Besides from the 645ci (I do like that one :) I am disgusted with BMW designs.

A3ndy

I went to the dealer today. I really wanted to see what the Sparkl,ing Graphite colour looks like in the flesh, but unfortunately there wasn't one in that colour. I did see one in Arctic Metallic and Titanium Silver.

Which colour do you guys prefer?

Any opinons would be much appreciated.

See the attched photos.

Attachments

Artic Metallic is a great colour. BMW and Mercedes have been lacking an icy silver blue for some time now. Glad to see this colour return.

The last picture you have posted in your link...looks like titanium silver...The tail lights looks so horrible. What is BMW thinking?? Regardless of those who think the E46 looks dated, the new rear on the E90 looks Anything but fresh. Cheap, Japanese and boring.

Last edited:

A3ndy

Checkout my gallery. Went to the dealer today to check out Sparkling Garphite, but there wasn't one again. not sure why none of the dealers I've been to don't have any on display.

Anyway check out my new pics of the 325i in Titanium silver. I think it looks Sweet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a3ndy/

The front of the new 7 is more of a smooth evolution from previous models.

I wonder what car you'd guess the new 3 is from the side if there were no identifiable logos--I'd probably guess Acura or Mazda. Those real pix from the UK were not encouraging, especially the back; I still don't get the light shape. If you took the new 7 and treated the trunk like the new Acura RL, you'd have a much better looking car--anyone able to photochop a new trunk treatment on the 7?

drkeng said:
The front of the new 7 is more of a smooth evolution from previous models.

I wonder what car you'd guess the new 3 is from the side if there were no identifiable logos--I'd probably guess Acura or Mazda. Those real pix from the UK were not encouraging, especially the back; I still don't get the light shape. If you took the new 7 and treated the trunk like the new Acura RL, you'd have a much better looking car--anyone able to photochop a new trunk treatment on the 7?
Exactly drkeng. Yes the new E90 will have more horsepower and some extra goodies..but it does not look like a BMW, let alone a German car. Ever wonder why so many people love the E30, E36 and E46??? Because it was a logical, respectful!!!!! and graceful transition. Luckily the E90 is not a radical as the new 7 or 5...but it looks like a lot of the 3er soul was lost. Do we really want more horsepower and weird interiors to end up with a "German Acura or Honda"? I don't.

adam, did you say something? i'm just mesmerized by interagos blue..

seems with the case w/ new bimmers now a days. car itself is way better in a technical sense. it just looks well.. i heard this joke on the radio and new bimmers fit: its like having a fat girl friend. sure she's fun, but you never want your buddies to know about her. and eventually they will find out about her, and you'll never out live it..

but i don't know, i'm now loving the 5er, FINALLY!! so we'll see how long the e90 takes.. until then, long live e46!!

Average Jae said:
adam, did you say something? i'm just mesmerized by interagos blue..

seems with the case w/ new bimmers now a days. car itself is way better in a technical sense. it just looks well.. i heard this joke on the radio and new bimmers fit: its like having a fat girl friend. sure she's fun, but you never want your buddies to know about her. and eventually they will find out about her, and you'll never out live it..

but i don't know, i'm now loving the 5er, FINALLY!! so we'll see how long the e90 takes.. until then, long live e46!!
Jason...can you hear me???? Step away from the Interlagos Blue, and everything will be ok [:)]

I actually like the way the new 5er looks on the exterior. Surprisingly I like the rear of the car more than the funky eyes. Excellent comparo of the new E90 to a fat chick. I'm with you...long live our E46s!!!