Playing mp3's on the E90

agarbati

Does the dash unit on a 330 play mp3's? I looked on the website and it said it does, but with the Nav you have to get the CD changer to play MP3 files. Does anyone know? Tech svcs at my dealership did not know.

The standard in-dash CD player does play mp3's. If you opt for the navigation system, you have to get the 6-disc CD changer, which also plays mp3 files.

scalz

The Apple iPod can play MP3s and BMW has a great way to integrate the player into the car's audio system so that you can select tracks right from the steering wheel controls.

the_hedge

I just picked up my new 2006 BMW 325i with Navigation. It does not play MP3's...and the dealer told me that the I-Pod connector does not work with the Nav system either...since it has a different headunit.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
the_hedge said:
I just picked up my new 2006 BMW 325i with Navigation. It does not play MP3's...and the dealer told me that the I-Pod connector does not work with the Nav system either...since it has a different headunit.
Off topic but does your 325i feel fast? Does it pickup quick and feel like a "rocket" (aka E46 330i), as opposed to the E46 325i? I'm interested as to how the 31hp has increased the performance with only 185 (10 more) ft-lb's of torque...

Also, how much did you get off sticker?

seadzz

If your car has the CD changer plug in the trunk (left side under the plastic tray) you can purchase an adaptor which will give you two sets of female RCA jacks. It is simply a matter of connecting a cable to those jacks and running this cable to your glove box. You then plug your mp3 player into this wire using a 1/8" male plug.

Just did this with my 325 Ci and got all the hardware at Circuit City. Cost $59 for the adaptor and another $12 for the cables. CC can do the instal or you can DIY.

sdz

To tell you the truth, what BMW does to integrate the iPod with the HU is not that good. Sure you can control it from the steering wheel but you don't get any titles and are limited to only 6 folders. Now imagine how long it would take you to find something when your iPod is filled with songs and all of them are in just 6 folders. I think Alpine did a much better job.

There's an auxilary input to the stereo in the center console. I suppose you could plug an MP3 player into that and then select AUX on the display.

I haven't tried an MP3 in mine yet, but there is two seperate slots: One for the NAV DVD, and one for the audio CD.

-Dave C. '06 330i