Problems with wheels

vramos

I have a 2001 530i with the sports suspension. This package includes 17 inch alloys that are in two parts. The spokes and the rims. I recentley noticed that my rims were getting a corrosion like worms runing through them. I took the car to my dealer to have them accessed. They assured me they could polish or clean them. After two days I got the bad news that they would not be repairing, replacing or otherwise backing these wheels. their reasoning is that I live close to the beach and the salt air is responsible. The wheels they say are not defective. They do not want to understand ELECTROLYSIS. I could use all of your help.I need to hear from all BMW owners that have had simmilar problems with their dealers wiggling on their warranties. This car has 33K is still under their so called"Bumper to Bumper" warranty. They are being as unproffesional and snakey as the can get away with, so if you have had problems with your dealer please write. Thanks

Dealers will try to get away with whatever they can. Be firm with the dealer and contact BMW of North America if you have to and let them know that you cannot resolve this with the local service center. Write a letter to BMW of North America clearly stating your case and attach photos (not digital prints) to the letter. Send a copy to your dealership also.

BMW Customer Relations
1-800-831-1117

BMW of North America, LLC
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677

I had similar problems with wheels on a previous car of mine (not a BMW.)

It was the clear coat finish on the wheels peeling off. You can take the wheels to a shop and get an estimate for the repair and also submit that with the letter.

Good luck!