Question

Mumzik

Due to yellow "Check engine" light my car was inspected by dealer.
They told me what thermostat, CAM sensor and both catalitic convertors need to be replaced.
Total cost estimated well above $2000.00.
Any suggestios how to save money?
Thank you.

REPLACE THERMOSTAT, CAM SENSOR AND IF CAR RUNS GOOD AND YOU GOT GOOD GAS MILAGE DON'T TOUCH CATALITIC CONVERTERS.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mumzik

Thank you.
Also I've found from the other forum what cat converters can be replaced at any muffler shop (after market parts with warranty) for appr $500.00 for both installed.

you might consider buying the needed parts online to save some $$$ and install them yourself.... you probably can get the cats online too..... i think they bolt in.... john

Mumzik

Thank you.
I certainly will shop for the cheaper parts.
And since dealers told me what excessive exhaust gases doesn't do a major damage to the engine, hopefully I have some time to do the shopping.
But speaking about thermostat, I am surprised what to replace it will cost $260.00.
Why this so expensive?

reply to mumzik about dealers ?

Well for some it can get pretty down right expensive if your not a mechanic ..but it is true tho ..with some research and after market parts companies that sell bmw lic parts can save you big time bucks ..I took my 7 series in for annual service check and they dam near killed me with the recall service bulletins that my car was suppose to have fixed ..so what did i do ? the first visit
i watched them ...through the glass window and by the way i am a mechanic ..i just got lazy with my car ...anyway in any shop you have 3 our more cheif supervised mechanic's that over see's the group of mechanic's in the shop ...that monitor the services that are being done to your car ...depending on the work you have done to your car ...also the labor cost can be so high from shop to shop thats lic through bmw for ase certified technicians there tested random every 2yrs now due to the many lawsuits the automotive changes in the industry , As for the parts at any dealership we all know the mark up is qite high and i seen some people that almost choked are threaten to kill a mechanic
due to escalating repairs and escalating parts that can run a bill so high , and heres the big secret it only takes 30 minutes if any to find out about your car unless the shop is hella busy ...with the new cars and old ones that carry computers each car has its own trouble code chart for the mechanic's cracks me up they plug in diagnostic and the trouble code scanner ) ..a good one will cost you about 200.00 to 300.00 bucks with a exhaust sensor to check your o2 levels in your cats theres a service code book for bmws which tells you right were the problem is ) i am in the process of trying to get my hands on one . Anyway after the service guy came back with a estimate bill of 1,300 dollars ..i was [mad] after that i wasnt lazy anymore , took a full weekend and i got it fixed , Not to bash the dealer so much ..there are some good ones out there ..but you can also save money to with a independant certified tech outside the dealer as well with a good rep to ..also in the aftermarket side of things they have specailty shops connected to the parts for one on one repair for your car
bmw engineering and desighn is a monster as you see in this shot of a V12 manifold gasket exchange ...i hope i could of been of some help ..dwayne!!!

Attachments

actually a good code scanner for a bmw will set you back around 8 grand...... a decent obdII scanner for most 95 and newer cars will cost $1,000.00 and up... if you want a 3 gas analyzer add another $1500 or more to the cost of the scanner..... with bmw's onboard diagnostics you can read some of the fuel and ignition related codes without a scanner, but nowhere near all the trouble codes...
sometimes ya just have to take it to the shop to get scanned.... john

Last edited:

Mumzik

Thanks guys.
Since I am not a mechanic, I've developed a plan.
I will break nesessary work into 2 parts- engine and cat converters.
Than shop around for cheaper prices for AC belt, alternator belt, thermostat and cam sensor. Once I got the parts I need, I will take care of it in my friend's shop.
Later I'll take care of converters. Hopefully I have some time, because "Check Engine" light is gone and I am trying not to accelerate rapidly to avoid excessive exhaust gases.
And since inspection was done at the dealership, I can always refer to their records, which I hope they should keep on file, to see what else needs to be done.
After all work finished I can go to the dealer for another inspection to see if all problems has been taken care of.
This will cost just about $49.00