Replace Fuel Injectors - 88 M3

djm1450

I have an 88 M3 that has been in the garage for over two years. I have a problem parting with my first "real" car. The car was parked after it would not start when it sat for more than a week. The repair shop told me that the fuel injectors need to be replaced. I did not have the cash to replace the fuel injectors, so I parked it in the garage. I am now ready to do the work. Any recommendations you can provide on the following:

1) What injectors should be used?
2) Where can they be purchased?
3) Are there any sites for Removal & Installation instructions?
4) Do I need any Special Tools?
5) What other things should I consider doing because the sat so long?

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

As far as instructions just go to any local OEM auto part store and pick up a handy Haynes Manual. I just purchesed one for my 325e and have no regrets spending the 20 dollars for it. But, Seeing how its an 88 M3, you may have to do a little more digging than usual. BUT, the process should be relatively the same as long as the fuel injection system is the same.

Google, and searching other forums is your best friend, do a little homework and you should be fine.
As big daddy said, be sure to remove your spark plugs and squirt a little oil in each cylinder then turn the motor over by hand a few times (without the spark plugs installed) to make sure the oil covers the entire interior of the cylinders.
Be sure to replace your fuel filter, and drain all of the old fuel out of the fuel rail while replacing your injectors.

If you already haven't, post some pics of your 88 m3 djm1450, I for one would be interested no matter what condition its in.

Big Daddy

No offense but do not waste the money on a Haynes manual they are basic and do not cover the specifics of an "M" or any major or technical repair. If you buy a manual get a Bentley, the "BMW" of repair manuals.

i agree that probably the injectors are clogged. i lost a 633CSi that ran perfectly and then stored it in a garage in the desert for 4 years. tried to start but just wouldn't and i didn't have the time to fix it..no question injectors...when gasoline sits around for too long it turns into varnish and will gum everything up it comes into contact...injectors are the first to stick