Snow tires/wheels for an M3 competition package? Please help!

pylit

I am looking into getting a set of wheels/snow tires for my '06 M3 competition package. Went to tirerack.com and they didn't have any '06 info yet; however, with no changes to the '06 from '05 I felt confident I could still shop for a wheel/tire combination.

When I looked up the plain old M3 there were lots of options in the 17" wheel/tire combination; however, the M3 competition package didn't have a single package available and the note said to call tire rack.

When I called tire rack the salesman told me they hadn't had the opportunity to test wheels/tires on the M3 competition package, and due to the modified brakes and suspension they did not know what would and wouldn't be compatible.

So I ask the forum, does anybody have snow tires/wheels for the M3 competition package, and if so who from?

Looking at the tire rack web site, I chose the Mille Miglia Spider II wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 tires. I'm not hard over on any particular wheel/tire combo, I just want it as inexpensive as possible.

Thanks
Mike

Mike, the Competition Package shares the same suspension as the regular M3, so you do not have to worry about that. Your main issue is the enlarged front rotors. What I can tell you is that regular M3 models with 12.8"/12.9" rotors can take 17" wheels. Your M3 Comp has 13.6"/12.9" rotors and a set of 18" wheels should work fine (but not necessarily true), but I cannot speak for a set of 17" wheels on your car...I think that may be too small. It is also possible that certain 18" wheels will not fit on your car. Unfortunately, your situation depends on wheel sizes AND the design of the rim. Some rims will fit, some will not. Nobody here has an M3 Competition Package with snow tires, so you may want to browse around other forums to see if anyone out there has an M3 Competition with a set of snows that work with the car. Until then, it is more of a trial-and-error issue or you can wait until TireRack posts up rims and tires that will fit for sure.

pylit

I am stationed in Germany and have an '06 M3 ordered with all the options. Interior is cinnamin red and exterior is interlagos blue. Delivery is expected the 1st week of October (and of course I deploy on 3 October, go figure!). And no, I spent all my money on the car so you can't borrow any.

I've checked another board and couldn't find anybody there to even reply to my query but I've got some time. At worst I can get ass-raped and try/buy a set of wheels off the local economy. My other option is to keep my '92 735 and just drive it during the winter. I wouldn't get much more for the 7 than I'd pay for wheels/tires anyway :).

spta97

At E46Fanatics a few people were saying that more combos will come out as winter gets closer...not sure if that will hold true for the ZCP. Either way it will be pretty expensive, have you considered just getting a beater car? I've got a 2005 ZCP that I just got a week ago today (how people already are driving the 2006 is beyond me [???1] ) but I've also got an Explorer that I plan to drive in the winter.

pylit, if you need snow tires ASAP, your best bet would be to just purchase a set of OEM or OER (replica) rims off of a website of the 19" M wheels or the 19" ZCP wheels. You can get the 19" M wheels from aaarims.com (for $350-$375 per rim) which will fit on the M3 ZCP. Then just pickup a set of snow tires from the Tire Rack. I checked your tire sizes and right now they have Dunlop Wintersport M3's for your rears and Blizzaks for your fronts. If you wait until it gets closer to the winter season, Tire Rack will have a huge selection and you should be able to find a match. There ya go, I'm the man.