The error of my ways?

I have a problem, my car's paint will not be completely consistent throughout the car! I understand it is an old car with old paint, so it has special needs. Since it has no clear coat I would assume it would be even harder. I have come to be pretty good with detailing so it is a surprise that my own car is the only one I cannot make look really good!

Okay so here's the rundown of cleaning crap I use and have tried:

-Meguiar's sudsy car wash (works good)
-Absorber to dry (works inconsistently; sometimes good, sometimes bad: age, maybe?)
-synthetic chamois (absolute crap)
-Zymol (worked okay, maybe has a special way of applying it?)
-I have not use a buffer, does anyone recommend one?
-Gold Class Meguiar's wax (same story as Zymol, x/c worked a little bit better)
-a chenille deal to clean the car with the car wash (works very nicely)
-wheels and windows aren't problems
-that's all I can remember... for now

If you have issues with drying your car, head on over to your local KMart and pickup a California Water Blade...by far the greatest drying tool I have ever used to dry my car...quick and easy.
The steps and products you take/use to clean your car seem fine. You said you have an old car; maybe you need to use a clay bar on it??

I forgot to put that I have used it and it worked very well at making a smooth finish, but I cannot say the same about the consistency of the paint, it's like the waxes I use aren't good on it or something. I will definitely have a go at one of those blade deals. Thanx a lot!