The Truth About Comfort Access

Prolixer

On several BMW forums recently, there have been posts where people mistakenly said that the Comfort Access feature allows both entry to the car and starting of the car without the use of the key fob. This is only half right. The Comfort Access feature allows you to unlock the car door without pressing any button on the fob, and then to lock the vehicle upon exiting, you touch a marked spot on the door handle. However, to start the car, you still have to insert the key fob into the slot in the dash, as this unlocks the steering wheel. I wish the Comfort Access feature did allow for starting the car without inserting the fob in the dash - like Mercedes Keyless Go - that would have been great. Not sure why BMW didn't design it this way - there is no real convenience in not having to use the key fob to enter the car if you still have to dig it out of your pocket to start the car anyway.

The Comfort Access feature is explained on the BMW website.

Prolix

Dave J

Not sure if Comfort Access is treated the same across the entire BMW line, however, my parents just purchased a 745i and Comfort Access not only opens the doors, but you can start the engine without putting the key fob in the dash board slot. Also, you can have his & her key fobs that will also detect all the user settings (seats, mirrors, etc), for each key fob and apply those settings. Don't know what happens if both fobs are in range when the car door is openend. Not sure what settings it takes in that situation.

Im pretty sure you dont need to install the Fob to start the car! Thats the point in this system is to unlock and start the car without inserting the dang key thingy

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
On the Merc it is just a credit card that you put in your wallet, pocket or purse and you can open the door as long as you have it on you, and start the engine via the Start/Stop on the gear lever. A lot more convenient than BMW - the Un-Comfort access is only available on the 7er - they had a plan a long time ago to make it range wide but I don't know what happened - wish it was.

Prolixer

I hope I am wrong about this, but I was left with the impression that the Comfort Access feature only made locking/unlocking keyless after reading the info. on the BMW website. Here is what they say -
"With the optional Comfort Access function (delayed availability), the key identifies the vehicles owner to the vehicle, allowing the driver to open the car door without ever pressing a single button. To secure the vehicle, the driver merely touches a marked spot on the door handle upon exiting." It says nothing about the driver not having to insert the key fob into the dash slot - I would think they would mention this as this would be an important aspect of the Comfort Access function. Maybe BMW considers the entry/exit part of the function to be far more important than the start/stop side of the equation, and therefore didn't think it was important enough to mention that the car can be started without using the fob. It just seems to me like a glaring omission on their part if you can indeed start the car without the use of the key fob.

To try to get to the bottom of this, I just called 2 dealerships, and they both told me the same thing - on the current 7 series, the Comfort Access allows the driver to start the car without the use of the key fob. So I then said - "So it will be the same way then on the E90, correct?" and both dealerships said - "Well, we can't say for sure because this feature is not available yet in the E90's" To which I said - "Well, if that's the way it currently works in the 7 series, it makes sense it would work that way in the 3 series" and they both said "Well, it should, but we can't say for sure that the Comfort Access feature in the E90 will be identical to the feature in the 7 series."

I certainly hope I am wrong and hope that this feature when it makes it debut in the E90 in the fall will allow for keyless starting of the car. Now that I know that this is the way it works in the current 7 series, it makes sense that it would work the same way in the E90's. The salesmen are probably trained to never state anything as fact if it is not in writing from the head office (although salesmen still seem to be a source of much misinformation), so this is probably why they were not willing to say for sure.

Prolix

hi Rob,

from what i heard at the 3aa, you have to insert the key fob to start the car, the first time. but you can also program it so that when you have the key w/ you you can just start the car w/out it being in the holder.

i sometimes forget my wallet when going out. w/ the merc solution, it would mean that i have to have my wallet w/ me at all times to start the car. and another con of that is, say you forget the keys at home, you might not be able to get back in if there's no one else home..

but either way both seem like pretty good solutions.

bimmer4me

Good news! Comfort Access also starts the car "comfortably".
This is straight from the e90 Product Information Brouchure...

Comfort Access

(optional all models, code 322; available as of 9/05 production)
Benefit
• Additional convenience in entering, starting and leaving the vehicle

First seen in the ’05 7 Series, this is another new option for the 3 Series. Eliminates the need to activate a remote to unlock or lock the vehicle, or to insert it into the dash slot before starting the engine:

Keyless access – User enters vehicle merely by pulling a door handle, or opens the trunk by pressing the trunk release. Presence of the remote (say, as in the user’s pocket or purse) has already confirmed that the user is authorized.

Keyless starting – User authorization is confirmed by the presence of the remote inside the vehicle; the driver starts the engine by merely pressing the Start/Stop button.

Keyless engine switch-off and vehicle locking – Driver turns off the engine via the
Start/Stop switch, and presses a door handle to lock the vehicle after exiting. In case the remote has been left in the trunk inadvertently, the trunk opens automatically.

Jay, the new Mercedes have the Keyless Go feature built into the regular remote key so you have the normal key with you with remote buttons but it also doubles as the keyless go.

ACELR8

Anyone,

Do you think any customers that have taken delivery of the E90 - prior - to the "Comfort Access" debut date can retroactively get this feature? Perhaps a software patch to go along with a new patch antenna the tech might place somewhere inside the vehicle? I realize its an option, and that owners would have to pay for, but could it be a dealer installed option later? Thoughts ?

That's really hard to say. It technically should be possible, from an electronic viewpoint, because it no doubt attaches to one of the communications buses in the car.

However, BMW (like any company looking to make a profit) will look at it from $$$ viewpoint. If they believe enough people would upgrade, and they could recover the costs of providing the retrofit kit, writing installation instructions, cataloging, etc. then they might do it.

On the other hand, if it would require serious modifications to the wiring harness they probably would not offer it. But I would hope that since they knew it was planned all along, all E90 wiring harnesses would be ready for it.....

A retrofit kit probably would also require new key fobs keyed to the existing coded driveway protection system in the car. I imagine that that would be a pretty pricey retrofit kit.